Run As XP - Outlook Express Compatibility Forum
OE can't find jpg's - Printable Version

+- Run As XP - Outlook Express Compatibility Forum (https://runasxp.com)
+-- Forum: Outlook Express Compatibility Forum (https://runasxp.com/Forum-Outlook-Express-Compatibility-Forum)
+--- Forum: Support (https://runasxp.com/Forum-Support)
+--- Thread: OE can't find jpg's (/Topic-OE-can-t-find-jpg-s)

Pages: 1 2

OE can't find jpg's - Braintree - 06-28-2015

A bear of a problem, it appears that my file associations are right (please see the attached), but OE still can not find and open .jpg attachments. Other attachment types it opens fine. Have had this problem for some time. Thank you for any help!

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Rafael - 06-28-2015

Hello,
Haveyou tried saving first the atachment file before directly opening it?

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Braintree - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 02:53 AM)Rafail Wrote: Hello,
Haveyou tried saving first the atachment file before directly opening it?

Yes, Rafail, I can save the jpg file to my desktop and view it from there, but wish it would open directly in OE, saving that step.

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Rafael - 06-28-2015

Try cleaning your 'temp' folder:
Start>programs>accessories>system>tools>disk cleanup
mae sure that 'temporary files' is selected and click 'OK'

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Braintree - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 12:16 PM)Rafail Wrote: Try cleaning your 'temp' folder:
Start>programs>accessories>system>tools>disk cleanup
mae sure that 'temporary files' is selected and click 'OK'

Tried that, still doesn't do it, but thank you for the suggestion.

[attachment=163]

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Rafael - 06-30-2015

then please try compacting your dbx mail folders (File>Folders>compact)
because your email folders may be corrupted or very large.

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Braintree - 07-01-2015

(06-30-2015, 04:44 PM)Rafail Wrote: then please try compacting your dbx mail folders (File>Folders>compact)

Glad to learn about that feature, but that didn't solve it either. Maybe re-install Outlook Express?

RE: OE can't find jpg's - BobH - 07-04-2015

(07-01-2015, 10:28 AM)Braintree Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 04:44 PM)Rafail Wrote: then please try compacting your dbx mail folders (File>Folders>compact)

Glad to learn about that feature, but that didn't solve it either. Maybe re-install Outlook Express?

Assuming you haven't solved the problem, what version of Windows are you using and what happens if you send yourself a .jpg (attached)?
BobH

RE: OE can't find jpg's - Braintree - 07-04-2015

Assuming you haven't solved the problem, what version of Windows are you using and what happens if you send yourself a .jpg (attached)?
BobH
[/quote]

Bob, I have Windows 7.

If I send to myself, same result, the .jpg won't open.

Thought I'd share what a little program Types shows as the details on opening jpg's on my system:[attachment=169]

RE: OE can't find jpg's - BobH - 07-05-2015

(07-04-2015, 08:27 PM)Braintree Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 04:14 AM)BobH Wrote:

BobH

Bob, I have Windows 7.

If I send to myself, same result, the .jpg won't open.

Just trying to figure out what I would do:

1) Under OE > Tools > Options > Read > Is the checkbox "Read all messages in plain text" UNCHECKED?
2) My OE shows images (full sized) in the email body whether sent "inserted" or "attached" - does yours?
3) Does Types.exe show the same "Use linked class" and other properties for .bmp and/or .png files (my Types pic differs for .jpg)?
4) What happens if you send yourself a .jpg renamed as a .jpeg?

5) I might try a different .jpg association (Paint or ?), run a registry cleaner and then re-associate with MS viewer or ?

Even though this is your problem, somehow it bothers me and I'd like to see you get it fixed, so please let me know how it goes.

Bob

Thought I'd share what a little program Types shows as the details on opening jpg's on my system:
[/quote]