Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3 Average
Outlook Express Backup - Restore Tool
04-26-2014, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 09:33 PM by Rafail.)
Outlook Express Backup - Restore Tool
Outlook Express Backup - Restore Tool (from softstack.com)

[Image: oe-backup-restore.jpg]

This simple easy-to-use utility lets you not only restore your Outlook Express data after a crash, but also transfer your data between different computers (windows xp to 7).
I have checked this nice tool and works fine on this version of Outlook Express.

[Image: download.png]

.zip  oebkuprst.zip (Size: 713.83 KB / Downloads: 0)

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 10:31 PM by midas.)
RE: Outlook Express Backup - Restore Tool
Outlook Express Backup - Restore isn't free, is it?

Can anybody recommend a free alternative? Blush
10-31-2014, 03:34 AM
(10-30-2014 10:29 PM)midas Wrote:  Outlook Express Backup - Restore isn't free, is it?

Can anybody recommend a free alternative? Blush

You can copy entire Outlook Express mail folder and restore it with copy/paste on other pc. That folder path can be found from Tools> options> Maintenance>Store Folder.

Rafail B.
Administrator
11-12-2014, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 03:24 PM by Rafail.)
I know that -- that's how I've been doing my saves/migrations for years.

I just thought it would be nice to have an integrated GUI solution...
11-13-2014, 03:24 PM
(11-12-2014 12:21 AM)midas Wrote:  I know that -- that's how I've been doing my saves/migrations for years.

I just thought it would be nice to have an integrated GUI solution...

there are many, but not all of them tested with this version (under newer windows) and cant post them until full test.

Rafail B.
Administrator
11-20-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 08:51 PM by midas.)
I just remembered using Ziin.pl freeware Mail Exporter with satisfactory results.

BTW, the portable crowd will be happy to find a portable launcher for it at
Code:
rolandtoth. hu/yaP/configs/Mail%20Exporter.ini

Just extract files from the Mail Exporter installer and place in the 'App' subdir...

Furthermore, Ulrich Krebs has made available (ukrebs-software.de) two OSS freeware utilities for importing and exporting OE type mail files: Mbox2eml (Java dependent) and DbxConv (windows console).
11-21-2014, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 04:13 AM by Rafail.)
(11-20-2014 06:12 PM)midas Wrote:  I just remembered using Ziin.pl freeware Mail Exporter with satisfactory results.

BTW, the portable crowd will be happy to find a portable launcher for it at
Code:
rolandtoth. hu/yaP/configs/Mail%20Exporter.ini

Just extract files from the Mail Exporter installer and place in the 'App' subdir...

Furthermore, Ulrich Krebs has made available (ukrebs-software.de) two OSS freeware utilities for importing and exporting OE type mail files: Mbox2eml (Java dependent) and DbxConv (windows console).

That tool and the combination with portable script looks interesting, bit im not 100% sure that will wirk on newer windows (8.1,10).

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-13-2015, 02:16 AM
Where does OE Backup - Restore Tool put the *.dbx files when you do a restore on a new W7-PC?
I have installed OE on the C-disk but I changed the store-folder to another disk so I did'nt have to loose my mails in case of disk-crash or re-install of W7 for any reasons. I did this unfortunately before I used the restore. After the restore I can't find the folder where the *.dbx files are... Sad
02-14-2015, 03:23 AM
(02-13-2015 02:16 AM)teha30 Wrote:  Where does OE Backup - Restore Tool put the *.dbx files when you do a restore on a new W7-PC?
I have installed OE on the C-disk but I changed the store-folder to another disk so I did'nt have to loose my mails in case of disk-crash or re-install of W7 for any reasons. I did this unfortunately before I used the restore. After the restore I can't find the folder where the *.dbx files are... Sad

well, thats little complicated. It creates a single file (.obk extension) that has all dbx files, wab address books and any other thing we selected to backup.

After working on it, i found that it can be extracted with 7zip.

After extracting all files are revealed (see pic) with the difference that the file names are numeric.

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-12-2015, 01:03 AM
New here, and liking what I see so far. Can't wait until this new OE is working ok. I can't get any of my existing messages into OE because import won't work- yet. But I understand that will be fixed soon. One problem is I haven't used OE in a long time because of the OS's. I've been using Windows Mail and like that a lot, but the latest update for Windows 8.1 knocked it for a loop. I ran the reinstatement program and it still didn't work. Then I ran the Merge program and that at least got the W.M. logo to come up, but followed with an error message saying it couldn't open the database. I know that's ok because I was able to import it into Thunderbird, which I don't want to use. But at least it proved the database was fine. No sense in trying the Backup and Restore because that only applies to OE, which doesn't have the ton of email I have in Windows Mail. So, guess it's just wait until import works. - Ron K