Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how to make OE default e-mail client
09-03-2014, 04:55 PM
how to make OE default e-mail client
Win 7/8: how to make OE default e-mail client?

STEP 1:
I registered OE as default email client: win start button > default programs > set default program > ... this is done!

STEP 2:
from SumatraPDF I tried to send by email pdf file....

message is:
there is no email program associated to peform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

STEP 3:
I tried:
1. to uninstal OE, and install again - during installation I had no question: "do you want OE as default email client ?" ???

2. i tried to run: msimn /reg - no effect...

3. I checked OE menu > tools > options > button: make default -> button is disabled

help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 10:08 PM
RE: how to make OE default e-mail client
You have made the Outlook express default mail correctly.
But on windows 7 , the service that sends the emails to the default email client from other programs like yours is not compatible with outlook express and some other email clients.
Thats why in this version there is a custom "send to" menu created to send emails through right click menu.
For the time, that service (mapimail) is not working with outlook express...

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
11-18-2014, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 08:58 PM by dgihough.)
While the custom "send to" menu for OutLook Express works fine from the Explorer, it doen't work for me from a webpage. I have set the defaults as described.

Selecting the Outlook Express - E-mail page just blinks and OE does not launch at all. Same for E-Mail link.

Using Win 8.1 64-bit and IE 11.
11-21-2014, 03:59 AM
hi,
yes thats true,
Outlook Express - E-mail page and E-Mail link will be fixed on next version because of some bugs on newer internet explorer.

Rafail B.
Administrator
12-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Hi, I have installed your OE6

I am using Win 7 and cant seem to make OE the default to send mail from another program ?

Any advice
12-12-2014, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 07:29 PM by Rafail.)
(12-12-2014 08:41 AM)ijoberg Wrote:  Hi, I have installed your OE6

I am using Win 7 and cant seem to make OE the default to send mail from another program ?

Any advice

as i wrote above, right now it is not possible to send from another program, maby on later version it will be fixed.

Quote:EDIT:
Fixed on version 2

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-17-2016, 11:51 AM
(11-21-2014 03:59 AM)Rafail Wrote:  hi,
yes thats true,
Outlook Express - E-mail page and E-Mail link will be fixed on next version because of some bugs on newer internet explorer.

I have just installed OE on a Win7 machine. I tried to make OE the default mail client but the option is grayed out and I can't select. Needless to say I can't send email by clicking on a link on a web page or other source. Help please.
02-17-2016, 01:06 PM
First of all, this is an old thread and above posts does not need to apply on current version 2.1

If "Make default" is grayed out means that already set default.
But you need to go to "Control Panel > Default Programs" and find outlook express on list and click "Set all defaults".

Please read the guide here:
http://runasxp.com/Thread-Make-Outlook-E...ail-client

Rafail B.
Administrator