Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows 10 update kills OE
12-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Windows 10 update kills OE
Heads up, folks! I just got a major update for Windows 10 and it completely wiped out Outlook Express! Everything! I had to reinstall OE from scratch. Fortunately I was able to use the same key I originally used. However, all my messages were gone. The address book was still there for some reason, but no messages. It's quite a chore, at least it was for me, to import the old messages because the Import function does not allow you to get to the AppData folder. I had already taken ownership of it so I was able to find the latest identity folder. Then I copied the Outlook Express folder from there and pasted it to the desktop. OE was able to import the messages then.
The update started with a light blue screen and had these messages on the screen, one after the other:

ALL YOUR FILES ARE EXACTLY WHERE YOU LEFT THEM

WE'VE GOT SOME EXCITING NEW FEATURES TO TELL YOU ABOUT

WE'VE MADE SOME TWEAKS TO MAKE WINDOWS EVEN BETTER

WE'LL BE READY SOON

The last three had the statement underneath "Don't turn off your PC"

If you see this happening, OE will most likely be gone. Hopefully with what I've found, you'll be able to restore everything okay. I don't know where MS gets off with taking out our programs, but they sure do it.

RK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2015, 08:56 PM
RE: Windows 10 update kills OE
The only good thing about this story is that emails and address book are not being deleted.
Emails can be found on Windows.old directory and there is not need to import. Just copy all dbx files from
C:\Users\-USERNAME-\AppData\Local\Identities\{IDENTITY NUMERC FOLDER}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
to
C:\Windows.old\Users\-USERNAME-\AppData\Local\Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERC FOLDER}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

As i have been informed from some users, Windows 10 major updates (hopefully there are 2 and most likely will stop until windows 10 stables) removes also many other installed programs....

ubergizmo has an easy guide how to stop windows 10 updates here:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/disable-...0-updates/

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
12-16-2015, 09:18 PM
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 right off the bat, so my Windows.old folder doesn't even have the AppData folder. It has the Users folder and my personal folder, but my own user folder only had 4 major folders in it and every folder was completely empty. I had to use Windows Explorer to go to the AppData folder and eventually to the correct Identities folder to find my emails. I chose the latest one and it contained all my emails, even the ones I received yesterday. I guess MS takes it upon themselves to delete the stuff in Windows.old folder after you've been using Windows 10 for a certain length of time. I had taken ownership of the Users folder as mentioned. I suppose if I hadn't that even Windows Explorer wouldn't have found the AppData folder. And thus goes the story of Windows and its evolution. :-)
12-20-2015, 02:27 AM
Basically the Windows update change the registry settings of where the programs files are. If you do a search in Windows Explorer for *.dbx files, you'll find where the old email files are. You can change the Store location in OE via Tools, Options, Maintenance, "Store Folder" and re-assign it back to the original folder.

Do a search for *.wab files. Mine moved from Contacts to Address Book. Copy the old WAB file to the new folder (while OE is closed) to get your contacts back.

My Accounts used to be stored in the Registry under
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts
and the update changed that to
HKCU\Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERIC FOLDER}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts.
I was able to Export just the old Accounts key to a .reg file, edit the keys in Notepad, and then Import the revised .reg file into the registry via the File, Import menu (I changed SOFTWARE to Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERIC FOLDER}\Software in the .reg file for each account).

Mail rules after the update are stored in
HKCU\Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERIC FOLDER}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules\Mail
I'm assuming that the old location was the same and they have all been deleted, so I need to re-enter those (and I had a bunch).
12-22-2015, 03:20 AM
(12-16-2015 08:56 PM)Rafail Wrote:  The only good thing about this story is that emails and address book are not being deleted.
Emails can be found on Windows.old directory and there is not need to import. Just copy all dbx files from
C:\Users\-USERNAME-\AppData\Local\Identities\{IDENTITY NUMERC FOLDER}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
to
C:\Windows.old\Users\-USERNAME-\AppData\Local\Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERC FOLDER}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

As i have been informed from some users, Windows 10 major updates (hopefully there are 2 and most likely will stop until windows 10 stables) removes also many other installed programs....

ubergizmo has an easy guide how to stop windows 10 updates here:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/disable-...0-updates/

Guess it has to be the other way around, ie you have to go FROM windows.old TO Windows or ??
12-22-2015, 03:58 AM
Dont worry myran16, these days a tool that will restore OE automatically after windows update will be released.

Rafail B.
Administrator
12-22-2015, 07:08 AM
(12-20-2015 02:27 AM)Lionel Wrote:  Basically the Windows update change the registry settings of where the programs files are. If you do a search in Windows Explorer for *.dbx files, you'll find where the old email files are. You can change the Store location in OE via Tools, Options, Maintenance, "Store Folder" and re-assign it back to the original folder.

Do a search for *.wab files. Mine moved from Contacts to Address Book. Copy the old WAB file to the new folder (while OE is closed) to get your contacts back.

My Accounts used to be stored in the Registry under
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts
and the update changed that to
HKCU\Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERIC FOLDER}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts.
I was able to Export just the old Accounts key to a .reg file, edit the keys in Notepad, and then Import the revised .reg file into the registry via the File, Import menu (I changed SOFTWARE to Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERIC FOLDER}\Software in the .reg file for each account).

Mail rules after the update are stored in
HKCU\Identities\{NEW IDENTITY NUMERIC FOLDER}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Rules\Mail
I'm assuming that the old location was the same and they have all been deleted, so I need to re-enter those (and I had a bunch).

(12-22-2015 03:58 AM)Rafail Wrote:  Dont worry myran16, these days a tool that will restore OE automatically after windows update will be released.

O´boy, that would be nice. When do you think ?
12-22-2015, 12:46 PM
it's a matter of days. maby until end of week it will be ready.

Rafail B.
Administrator
12-23-2015, 03:54 AM
"it's a matter of days. maby until end of week it will be ready."

THAT´s nice. Worth looking forward to. Big Grin
12-24-2015, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2015 07:56 PM by zenon49.)
Hi your OE don't start at my W7 after some W10 update stuff. I managed to stop W10 update and delete the locations on the computer. You guys are talking about a tool for recovering OE. Is it out yet`?? Where to find?? I have no idea how to start OE now(nothing happens) and refuse to deinstall and reinstall ist because all my mails and contacts would be lost, right???? TIA