Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Use "classic" Address Book
08-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Use "classic" Address Book
Hi. I'm using the "classic" Address Book with my OE on Windows 7. I don't use any of the newer Windows 7 capabilities in this area(whatever they might be). When I migrated from XP to Windows 7, I installed OE (from this forum) and then simply copied the address book files (two .wab files) from their folder on the old computer to their folder on the new computer.

When I open OE on the new computer, I can see, change and use the addresses just like before. Everything's OK.

But I want to be able to open the address book "externally" ... without opening OE. There's a program in the OE program files folder called "wab.exe" and I would have expected that program to do it, but it does something else.

So how can I open the "classic" address book on Windows 7 without having to go through OE ... just to open it on it's own?

Thanks all!

or-bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2014, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 08:38 AM by hairygertz47.)
RE: Use "classic" Address Book
(08-22-2014 08:44 PM)or-bob Wrote:  Hi. I'm using the "classic" Address Book with my OE on Windows 7. I don't use any of the newer Windows 7 capabilities in this area(whatever they might be). When I migrated from XP to Windows 7, I installed OE (from this forum) and then simply copied the address book files (two .wab files) from their folder on the old computer to their folder on the new computer.

When I open OE on the new computer, I can see, change and use the addresses just like before. Everything's OK.

But I want to be able to open the address book "externally" ... without opening OE. There's a program in the OE program files folder called "wab.exe" and I would have expected that program to do it, but it does something else.

So how can I open the "classic" address book on Windows 7 without having to go through OE ... just to open it on it's own?

Thanks all!

or-bob

I also would like to be able to open the "classic" address book externally and place a shortcut to its contents on my desktop. I have run into the same problem as or-bob and have not been able to find a way to do so. Please let us know if there is a way to do this. The Windows "Contacts" folder that opens by clicking wab.exe, as stated by or-bob is not a path to the "classic address book that is seemingly only available after opening OE.

Thank you,

Richard
10-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Thats a good question. the problem is that Microsoft has created another address book for windows 7 , that is included on windows.
Maby there is a way to disable it (on registry keys) and enable Outlook Express's Wab. If i find a solution for that, i will post it.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
10-10-2014, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 08:18 PM by vrapp.)
I second the wish. I had WAB shortcut separate for years in XP, using it as the main contact manager.