Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unknown certificate problem
03-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Unknown certificate problem
The original Outlook 6 (under Windows XP), when connecting to a server which certificate could not be verified, used to display the message:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. Do you want to continue using this server? Yes/No"

Unfortunately, the RunAsXP Outlook (under Windows 7) stops with the error:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '...', Server: '...', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, SSL: Yes, Error code: 0x800CCC0F".

How can I connect to a server with an unrecognized certificate?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2016, 02:41 AM
RE: Unknown certificate problem
The unknown certificate and server timeout are 2 totally different things.
In case of Unexpected timeout (in this case) the problem is either wrong server name or wrong port name.
Please reply me with your settings so i can help further

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
03-05-2016, 04:29 AM
(03-05-2016 02:41 AM)Rafail Wrote:  The unknown certificate and server timeout are 2 totally different things.
In case of Unexpected timeout (in this case) the problem is either wrong server name or wrong port name.
Please reply me with your settings so i can help further

Probably, I did not stated that completely clearly last time. The two messages cited in the previous post were generated when trying to connect to exactly the same account, using exactly the same setting, at exactly the same time. The first message was displayed by the original Outlook Express from Windows XP (if I answer YES to the question, the connection is established without problems). The second (error) message was displayed by the RunAsXP Outlook running under Windows 7. Both PC's were connected to the same router. So there's nothing wrong with my settings (as they work with the original Outlook).

And the settings are:
SMTP: port 587, SSL encryption on;
POP3: port 995, SSL encryption on.
SERVER (local college server): poczta.horyzont.eu

In other words, my question is: why the modified Outlook does not display the "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified..." pop-up message, but displays the cited error message instead (in the case I try to connect to the server whose certificate cannot be recognized)?
03-05-2016, 02:13 PM
As i replied you, the error you are getting is NOT because of certificate. Is because of server settings.
And as i can see on your reply, you are using port 587. Port 587 will not work on windows 7 and later on outlook express. That's because of newer internet explorer that outlook express uses some libraries of.
Please try using port 465 (with ssl) or port 25 (without ssl)

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-05-2016, 04:14 PM
(03-05-2016 02:13 PM)Rafail Wrote:  As i replied you, the error you are getting is NOT because of certificate. Is because of server settings.
And as i can see on your reply, you are using port 587. Port 587 will not work on windows 7 and later on outlook express. That's because of newer internet explorer that outlook express uses some libraries of.
Please try using port 465 (with ssl) or port 25 (without ssl)

Are you completely sure? So why receiving e-mails using POP3 on the standard port 995 (with SSL) also doesn't work (see carefully the error message I've cited in my first post)?

I'm using 3 mail accounts, and for the two others POP3 on port 995 (+SSL) works fine with RunAsXP Outlook (under Windows 7). The only difference between the three servers I connect to is that the one Outlook cannot reach uses unrecognized certificate.
03-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Are you sure that the email the you want to set-up supports port 995?
You can try without ssl port 110

Rafail B.
Administrator