Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unable to send message using Hotmail
02-22-2015, 06:01 AM
Unable to send message using Hotmail
I downloaded the mail client Outlook Express. Everything installed correctly. However, I am unable to send messages through my Hotmail account. I can receive messages from my Hotmail account, but unable to send messages. My settings are all correct. Is there a means of solving this problem.

The error message I am receiving is:

[Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2015, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 05:04 PM by Rafail.)
RE: Unable to send message using Hotmail
Ok, please veify your windows Live,Hotmai or outlook.com settings settings with the pic attached and check again.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
02-22-2015, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 07:16 PM by Prius.)
Hi Rafail: Yes. The settings are correct. I had SMTP (587) secured. Changed to 465 (secured) and still I am unable to 'Send' mail. Yet, I am able to 'Receive' mail.' I cannot figure out why I am unable to 'Send' mail.
02-22-2015, 09:47 PM
(02-22-2015 07:14 PM)Prius Wrote:  Hi Rafail: Yes. The settings are correct. I had SMTP (587) secured. Changed to 465 (secured) and still I am unable to 'Send' mail. Yet, I am able to 'Receive' mail.' I cannot figure out why I am unable to 'Send' mail.

please look at the image above

Smtp port:25 (not 465 or 587)
Pop port:995
SSL check ed on Both
My server requires authentication aslo checked.

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-22-2015, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 11:06 PM by Prius.)
Port 25 does not work. By default, Port 25 is blocked by my ISP (a practice implemented by ISP's). What is interesting, I can use Thunderbird, Opera, Windows Live Essentials, Microsoft Office Outlook, without a problem; whereas, Outlook Express will not function properly, in that, OE will not send emails. All the port settings and authentications are correct, as you previously provided. The image above is not the image you previously provided. The previous image provided 465 for the SMTP port.

---------
UPDATE:

Okay.. ..I did some research on Outlook Express and found this information on Windows ITPro website http://windowsitpro.com/exchange-server/...ok-express

"As of June 30, 2008, you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail inbox via Outlook Express. Outlook Express accesses Hotmail via a legacy technology called DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol), which is not efficient enough to meet the demands of today's multi-gigabyte inboxes. Microsoft is replacing DAV with a newer technology called DeltaSynch, which is not Outlook Express compatible."

Guess I have to uninstall Outlook Express as the application is not compatible Hotmail. I really like the application Outlook Express and unfortunate that I cannot use it with Hotmail.
02-22-2015, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015 11:34 PM by Rafail.)
look, i dont know whats going on with your ISP but the settings i sent you with attachent pic working 100% (my account is Outlook.com which has same servers with live.com and hotmail) , i tasted it with my account and sent and received emails. The port 25 works with SSL checked.

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Hi Fafail,

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps your cable /dsl provider allows for use of port 25. However, my cable provider in Toronto, ON does not allow subscribers to use port 25 and, subsequently, for the past several years has taken measures to block port 25. Blocking port 25 is not an uncommon practice amongst ISP to prevent spam. I have confirmed with my cable provider this morning that port 25 cannot be used, either 465 or 587. I followed all of your instruction completely, but unfortunately, am not able to Send emails through Outlook Express via Hotmail and followed through with uninstalling the app Outlook Express. It's unfortunate, as I wanted to use OE.
02-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Interesting, i never heard that some ISP blocks port 25.. anyway , have a nice day.

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-23-2015, 02:37 AM
Blocking port 25 is not an uncommon practice by ISP's in Canada. Most, if not all dsl/cable providers in Canada block port 25 to prevent spam. ISP's have their own ports (467, 587) they provide to their customers to use. Microsoft Canada also blocks port 25.