Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] runtime error 75
04-14-2016, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 12:22 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] runtime error 75
My WIN7 PC has 2 accounts, one for me and one for my wife. Both as administrators. I installed OE6 on my account and it worked perfectly. I tried to access OE6 from my wife's account and get an error message "runtime error 75". OE4 worked fine this way on my XP machine so I don't understand what has happened.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2016, 07:41 PM
RE: runtime error 75
please try installing from second user account also. Dont worry, no emails or settings will be lost. Just remember, dont uninstall, just install also from second user account

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
04-15-2016, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 05:32 AM by bzeilstr.)
(04-14-2016 07:41 PM)Rafail Wrote:  please try installing from second user account also. Dont worry, no emails or settings will be lost. Just remember, dont uninstall, just install also from second user account

Thanks for the reply. I actually went down this road before and ended up with the same result. However I decided to try again.
I installed OE6 on my account and it worked great. As you instructed, I opened my wife's user account on the same PC and installed OE6 again and it installed fine and is working great.
However upon return to my own user account I am no longer able to open OE6. No error message.
This is the same result I ran into before which led me down a lot of dead end trails until eventually I started a series of uninstall and reinstall tests that yielded no positive results.

I opened this discussion and I appear to have found an answer on my own but not sure what went wrong in the first place.
It looks like the problem is related to shortcuts and where they point to. As I mentioned I installed OE6 first on my account and then on my wife's account. Her short cut took her to and successfully opened OE6 for her. This is what her shortcut pointed to.
Windows\System32\schtasks.exe\run\tn"Outlook Express"

Upon return to my account, OE6 did not open for me. I had a look at the shortcut and it pointed to the same location my wife's shortcut did. However, I noted that if I opened up my "All Programs" and drilled down to OE6 I could open the application fine from there. I created a new shortcut from there which pointed directly to the application. This is what it pointed to.
Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express\Outlook Express.exe

This works fine and I seem to be up and running. Not sure what went afoul to cause my original shortcut to be ineffective but all appears to be well on both accounts now.
04-15-2016, 12:16 PM
There are 2 shortcuts for oe, the desktop shortcut that is " Windows\System32\schtasks.exe\run\tn"Outlook Express"" and the start menu that point to "Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express\Outlook Express.exe"
The first one is for avoiding UAC (asking every time tor run) and the start menu one is the normal, in any case you may use the second one as you do now.

Rafail B.
Administrator
04-15-2016, 01:29 PM
RE: [solved] runtime error 75
Makes sense. I still don't understand why the first shortcut (the one that avoids UAC) would only work under the wife's account and not under mine. At any rate that UAC is a PITA so I turned it off in the first few days of using WIN7.
04-15-2016, 07:16 PM
RE: [solved] runtime error 75
The first shortcut (for avoiding UAC prompts) uses task scheduler, and that task is user-task. so changing user will not work.
Since you have already turned UAC off start menu shortcut (normal) will work same way for you.

Rafail B.
Administrator