Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] regsrv issue, possibly?
11-30-2014, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 04:47 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] regsrv issue, possibly?
So here's the story. My uncle is blind and uses JAWS reader, and prefers not to update to a new mail reader, since he knows OE6 very well. He had a fellow who had somehow gotten it running, but it wasn't done through RunAsXP, and he isn't sure of the link where he got the modded outlook exe. *sigh*

My uncle isn't very computer savvy, but told me about not being able to open links in OE mail messages. I found a small script online, ran it, everything worked even after reboot. All of a sudden, today, OE closes right after the initial screen comes up and says "Outlook Express has stopped working ... looking for solution."

I downloaded and installed the RunAsXP version after renaming his initial directory for backup, just in case. Even the RunAsXP version is erroring out the same way. However, the portable version is working fine.

Below is the batch file I ran that may or may not have caused this whole hassle.. Maybe there is a dll reg that I overwrote that somehow windows restore. I'm really not sure since this was working before I left and magically it's not anymore.

regsvr32 /s /i browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s corpol.dll
regsvr32 /s dxtmsft.dll
regsvr32 /s dxtrans.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\hmmapi.dll"
regsvr32 /s ieaksie.dll
regsvr32 /s ieapfltr.dll
regsvr32 /s iedkcs32.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\iedvtool.dll"
regsvr32 /s iepeers.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\ieproxy.dll"
regsvr32 /s /i /n inetcpl.cpl
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s licmgr10.dll
regsvr32 /s msdbg2.dll
regsvr32 /s mshtmled.dll
regsvr32 /s msident.dll
regsvr32 /s mstime.dll
regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\pdm.dll"
regsvr32 /s tdc.ocx
regsvr32 /s /i urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /s "%CommonProgramFiles%\microsoft shared\vgx\vgx.dll"
regsvr32 /s /i /n wininet.dll
regsvr32 /s extmgr.dll
regsvr32 /s mscoree.dll
regsvr32 /s oleacc.dll
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s asctrls.ocx
regsvr32 /s cdfview.dll
regsvr32 /s comcat.dll
regsvr32 /s /i /n comctl32.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s /i /n digest.dll
regsvr32 /s dispex.dll
regsvr32 /s hlink.dll
regsvr32 /s mlang.dll
regsvr32 /s mobsync.dll
regsvr32 /s /i msieftp.dll
regsvr32 /s msr2c.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s proctexe.ocx
regsvr32 /s /i scrobj.dll
regsvr32 /s /i shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s sendmail.dll
regsvr32 /s /i:A initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s /i ieframe.dll
reg add "HKCR\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\1.1\0\win32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d %systemroot%\system32\ieframe.dll /f

For now, I'm going to set him up on the portable version, I just hope there's a way I can pull all his folders and emails into it using the backup/restore utility you guys have on the forum. Any and all insight is appreciated. If you guys weren't here, I don't know what I would do for him.

After reading a bit in the forum.. I decided that the only other addition I had done to his computer before leaving that night was, eset antivirus. Figure it couldn't hurt to uninstall it just in case, and LO AND BEHOLD, everything is working fine again. I tried simply disabling the email/antivirus before uninstalling it, even adding the outlook express as a exempt directory, and no effect. But a complete uninstall got OE working the way it was without error.

I'm a bit befuddled. What is ESET doing that's force closing this? I'd hate to leave him without antivirus.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2014, 07:53 AM
RE: regsrv issue, possibly?
Hello,
Thank you for sharing your issue and solution.
Eset antivirus trys to install an addon for filtering mails on outlook express, that addon is not compatible with this (moded) version and oe crashes...
You can have eset wit this OE by just disabling mail intergration in eset settings (not uninstalling whole eset).

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
12-07-2014, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 01:55 PM by JustJinxed.)
Pretty sure I tried that already. I'll give it another go in a week or so when I'm back in town again. It would be logical that disabling the email scanner would stop this craziness. If I run it through the ringer properly and find ESET is again a culprit even after disabling the link checker, I'll let you know in a new thread. (I know it's not your issue, but awareness is key right? My first inclination would be to write them and see if we can't get the app on the exclusion list properly?)

Again, Rafail, thank you guys for this. The mere fact that I was able to find a piece of software he is accustom to using, is a giant blessing. Not sure what we would do without you guys.
12-07-2014, 05:08 PM
(12-07-2014 01:52 PM)JustJinxed Wrote:  Pretty sure I tried that already. I'll give it another go in a week or so when I'm back in town again. It would be logical that disabling the email scanner would stop this craziness. If I run it through the ringer properly and find ESET is again a culprit even after disabling the link checker, I'll let you know in a new thread. (I know it's not your issue, but awareness is key right? My first inclination would be to write them and see if we can't get the app on the exclusion list properly?)

Again, Rafail, thank you guys for this. The mere fact that I was able to find a piece of software he is accustom to using, is a giant blessing. Not sure what we would do without you guys.

Thank you JustJinxed, i also think of contacting ESET many times..
thanks for sharing

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------