Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Vista doesn't save password
10-10-2014, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 02:14 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] Vista doesn't save password
OE sends and receives great on Win 7 and 8 64. Same for Vista 32 but must enter password each start. I notice that [POP3 Password2] HKEY-CURRENT-USER registry line item is missing. Same for SMTP. Is there a work-around for Vista? My oe6multi-setup.exe is 2.0.037, dated 3/24/14.

Downloaded oe6_161 to an empty folder, but still have the password problem . . . and the default email client problem too. I can use okay anyway and it's great to have Outlook Express available. Note: after uninstalling and cleaning the folder, the registry still had all of the OE stuff. I wonder why it wasn't cleared when I uninstalled??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 04:49 AM by Rafail.)
RE: Vista doesn't save password
Hello, Try running setup as administrator and disabling UAC and any antivirus during install, since install trys to install "Protected Storage" service wich saves password and is not available on vista/7/8 and os some times blocks it .
How to disable UAC:

remember to reboot after disabling uac.

As for the reegistry, yes the registry entries are there for one reason:
If you uninstall outlook express on windows XP registry entries are still there and emails (dbx files) are also still there, since some registry entries are unique (have GUID) and if you uninstall outlook express and these keys are deleted then when you reinstall it all emails will be lost!
Thats why the uninstaller does not remove registry keys and email files, because when you install a new version emails will be still there.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
10-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Thanks so much Rafail for helping, but so far your procedure doesn't save my password. Here's what I did:

1. Disabled UAC
2. Rebooted
3. Disabled AVG
4. Disabled the Windows Firewall
5. Uninstalled Outlook Express
6. Ran setup again (oe6_161.exe)
7. Opened OE. It had my username but I had to type my password first before it started to work.
8. Went into Tools-Accounts-Properties-Servers and typed my password there.
9. Got out of Accounts, but went back into Servers but no password. However OE works okay until I close it. Then I have to enter the password to us OE again.

I'm testing this on a compaq laptop with Vista. Ordered a used HPE 400F that has Vista on it and trying to get educated before it gets here in a week.

Any other ideas?
10-10-2014, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 12:14 PM by Rafail.)
ok then you can do a it in "hackish" way:

right click on "My computer" under start menu, click manage
go to services and application>services

find in the services list a service called "Protected storage"
right click and click "Stop"

then go to outlook express installation folder
there is a folder called "IO"
in that folder there is a folder called "X86"
copy that 3 files that are in that folder in your C:\windows\system32
directory,replacing old ones.You might need to change sthe prrmissions to allow you to replace them.
remember this procedure is ONLY FOR 32 bit systems NOT for 64 bit

for 64 bit systems do:
then go to outlook express installation folder
there is a folder called "IO"
in that folder there is a folder called "X86"
copy that 3 files that are in that folder in your C:\windows\syswow64
also there is a folder called "amd64"
copy that 3 files that are in that folder in your C:\windows\system32
directory.

once files copied go to the services again and double click on service "Protected storage" to open the window, make sure that in "Startup type" is selected "Automatic" and click Start.
reboot the computer and retry

Rafail B.
Administrator
10-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Hi Rafail . . . still can't retain the password. Here's what I did:

1. Found "Protected storage" in the services list and stopped it
2. Changed the perlmissions for the existing three dlls in System32.
3. Replaced psbase.dll and pstorec.dll.
4. Couldn't replace pstorsvc.dll because it said it was being used by another program.
5. Renamed it to pstorsvc.old and then moved the new pstorec.dll into system32 folder.
6. Went back to "Protected storage" and restarted it, but when double clicked, it gave an error something like . . . the specified resource can't be found in the image file, and Description: <Failed to Read Description. Error Code 1814> So couldn't set to automatic.
7. Rebooted anyway.

OE still requires a password on opening. Now, when I try to send a message, it needed an smpt password. Maybe renaming the dll screwed the Protected storage service up. What do you think?

Anyway still trying . . .
10-10-2014, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 11:58 PM by Rafail.)
First of all check again 3 dlls you replaced, if they are replaced (check by size)
Now the message is normal, dont worry about that, its because the service dlls are from xp, but will work anyway.
as for the smtp password, check if your email provider needs smtp authentication (eg. gmail needs it), if so , go to outlook express > tools>accounts>mail>your email account
and open "Server" tab, there is a checkbox called "my server requies authentication" check that and click apply.
and retry

during email check, go to services and see if protectedstorage is running.

Rafail B.
Administrator
10-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Rafail,

I read yours last note and here are the dll size checks:

84 KB - psbase.dll
44 KB - pstorec.dll
25 KB - pstorsvc.dll

When I went to check the smtp question . . . I couldn't believe my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OE came up without asking for the password! Just an hour ago it didn't work, but now it looks like all is well.

When I changed identity it wanted the pass word, but then I went to the account and put the password in. Now both identities seem to work without asking for the password . . . WOW! Any idea why it took a little time before the correction happened?

I checked the Protected Storage Service and it indicated "started", so I guess that is working okay.

I had already checked "my server required authentication", so that was moot.

Anyway I think we have success but I'll continue to "kick the tires". I really appreciate your tenatiousness in helping me. Thank you so much!
10-11-2014, 02:13 AM
Happy to hear that, maby it took a little time because oe was running?
anyway, that is the procedure to patch protected storage, stop service, replace files according to os type (32 or 64 bit) and restart service.
Usually installer does that job, but some times some antivirus dont allow that because replacing system files looks suspect to antivirus or system file protection service and blocks the file replacement.

Rafail B.
Administrator