Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Reloading OE messages
05-07-2014, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 08:42 PM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] Reloading OE messages
Hi

I'm new here but would like to add my thanks for a version of OE that works in Win 7.

My PC was recently upgraded to Win 7 and I've been struggling ever since to get addresses and messages from the old OE into either Outlook 2013 or Windows Live mail.

Before the PC was upgraded I saved all the messages ( as .dbx files) and the addresses (as .wab files) on an external hard drive. I've now managed to load the address book back into new OE but have lost all the sub folders in the process. With over 2500 addresses I can re-sort them but I'd prefer to reload them in their folders if possible - anyone any ideas?

My other problem is that I can't load the message archives into new OE. They are archived in folders of about three months each for both sent and received. They're effectively my business archive so I don't want to lose them. I've managed to load them into Live Mail so I supose I could always access them this way but it would be better if I could get them back into OE if I can.

New OE doesn't seem to recognise the .dbx files and I get a 'no items match your search' error message when I try and import the files. I've made sure they're neither hidden or read only.

Anyone any ideas how I import these files?

Thanks everyone

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2014, 05:23 AM
RE: Reloading OE messages
(05-07-2014 12:19 AM)rclarke173 Wrote:  Hi

I'm new here but would like to add my thanks for a version of OE that works in Win 7.

My PC was recently upgraded to Win 7 and I've been struggling ever since to get addresses and messages from the old OE into either Outlook 2013 or Windows Live mail.

Before the PC was upgraded I saved all the messages ( as .dbx files) and the addresses (as .wab files) on an external hard drive. I've now managed to load the address book back into new OE but have lost all the sub folders in the process. With over 2500 addresses I can re-sort them but I'd prefer to reload them in their folders if possible - anyone any ideas?

My other problem is that I can't load the message archives into new OE. They are archived in folders of about three months each for both sent and received. They're effectively my business archive so I don't want to lose them. I've managed to load them into Live Mail so I supose I could always access them this way but it would be better if I could get them back into OE if I can.

New OE doesn't seem to recognise the .dbx files and I get a 'no items match your search' error message when I try and import the files. I've made sure they're neither hidden or read only.

Thanks everyone

Richard

I suggest you to use the Outlook Backup-Restore tool available on Outlook Express 6 Tools and Add-ons section:
http://runasxp.com/showthread.php?tid=5

Run it on you Xp machine, backup mails and address book, it will create a backup file, then run it on you 7 pc and restore that backup.
Since on win 7 Outlook express has some problems on mail resore and address book it is the best way!
If you have not your xp pc ,then try restore your files on another xp pc or virtual pc then run the backup-restore utility there.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
05-09-2014, 09:14 PM
(05-07-2014 05:23 AM)Rafail Wrote:  
(05-07-2014 12:19 AM)rclarke173 Wrote:  Hi

Thanks everyone

Richard

I suggest you to use the Outlook Backup-Restore tool available on Outlook Express 6 Tools and Add-ons section:

Run it on you Xp machine, backup mails and address book, it will create a backup file, then run it on you 7 pc and restore that backup.
Since on win 7 Outlook express has some problems on mail resore and address book it is the best way!
If you have not your xp pc ,then try restore your files on another xp pc or virtual pc then run the backup-restore utility there.

Hi Rafail

The address book has transferred just fine. I still have a problem with the stored messages though. I don't have the XP machine and no other machine to restore them on.

I have managed to import the messages into Windows live mail 7 and have tried exporting them into new OE that way but I get an error message saying that no messages were found or another program has the required files open. The only programs open on the PC are Windows live mail and new OE.

I've also tried importing into new OE from Win LM7 but when I select that option in the format box and click 'Next' nothing happens

Any ideas how I get round this?

Thanks

Richard
05-09-2014, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 10:58 PM by Rafail.)
Windows live mail is incompatible with oe.
The best way to do the job is to install a virtual pc (with xp) on you machine, or install xp mode if your windows version supports it, and then use the backup-restore utility to make a backup from there and then restore that to win 7.
If you need help on how to do that let me know.

Rafail B.
Administrator
05-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Hi Richard!

if importing messages won't work for you: did you try to copy all .dbx-files manually to the store-folder of OE?
in case you didn't, try the following steps:
first, you should look at your current store-folder of Outlook Express. you can do this by clicking "tools", then click "options", then go to "maintenance" and then press the button "store folder". Now go to this path (close Outlook Express!) and paste all your .dbx-files. Note that it is important to use the same language in OE and your .dbx-files. Also it could be important that your accounts are set the same way as they were on your Windows XP - PC.
Now open OE again and look, if your messages are there!

Sascha Pall
Support Team - Super Moderator
06-10-2014, 05:26 PM
(05-14-2014 03:20 PM)SaschaP Wrote:  Hi Richard!

if importing messages won't work for you: did you try to copy all .dbx-files manually to the store-folder of OE?
in case you didn't, try the following steps:
first, you should look at your current store-folder of Outlook Express. you can do this by clicking "tools", then click "options", then go to "maintenance" and then press the button "store folder". Now go to this path (close Outlook Express!) and paste all your .dbx-files. Note that it is important to use the same language in OE and your .dbx-files. Also it could be important that your accounts are set the same way as they were on your Windows XP - PC.
Now open OE again and look, if your messages are there!

Hi Sasha - I'll give this a try.

Another query for you

I use Norton 360 and a Norton Anti Spam folder was displayed with my local folders when I used OE with Windows XP. Now with Win7 and new OE it doesn't display the folder. Can you tell me how to change this?

The same goes for Spam fighter Pro which is also working on my PC but does not display a folder in the local folders on new OE

Thanks for your help

Richard
06-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Usually antivirus add-ons for outlook express does not work with this version (on win 7) , there was another user asking a question why oe was crashing after install and the reason was that Eset antivirus add-on for OE was enabled, when he disabled it oe was working fine.
So i suggest you to totally disable that feature on your antivirus if enabled, i dont beleive that it will work anyway.

Rafail B.
Administrator
07-17-2014, 03:26 PM
RE: [SOLVED] Reloading OE messages
(06-10-2014 08:26 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Usually antivirus add-ons for outlook express does not work with this version (on win 7) , there was another user asking a question why oe was crashing after install and the reason was that Eset antivirus add-on for OE was enabled, when he disabled it oe was working fine.
So i suggest you to totally disable that feature on your antivirus if enabled, i dont beleive that it will work anyway.

Hi Rafail

You're right it don't work so never mind, so long as it's working in the background I don't mind.

Another query please.

My address book is very large and I have divided into lots of folders for ease of management. I can back up the whole thing OK but it doesn't save it in the folders. In Win XP I used to be able to copy the address book as a .wab file from it's location in my docs /outlook express. Can you tell me where I would find the address book .wab file in Win 7?

Many thanks

Richard
07-17-2014, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 06:11 PM by SaschaP.)
Hi Richard!

please have a look at:
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Address Book\
At this place my address-book is stored on my pc, what about yours? Is it also there?

EDIT => if your address-book.wab isn't there: open OE6, then open your address-book and then klick on "?" and "Info". There should pop up a tiny window now where you can get the path of your *.wab file!

Greets
Sascha

Sascha Pall
Support Team - Super Moderator
07-28-2014, 08:24 PM
(07-17-2014 05:56 PM)SaschaP Wrote:  Hi Richard!

please have a look at:
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Address Book\
At this place my address-book is stored on my pc, what about yours? Is it also there?

EDIT => if your address-book.wab isn't there: open OE6, then open your address-book and then klick on "?" and "Info". There should pop up a tiny window now where you can get the path of your *.wab file!

Greets
Sascha

Thanks Sasha

Both tips work and the address book is now safely backed up

Good work!!

Richard