Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] PDF's won't open in OE
01-25-2015, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 05:31 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] PDF's won't open in OE
Since I installed Outlook Express I've never been able to open pdf attachments within OE even though Adobe Reader is updated and installed right and I can open pdf's on my desktop. Anyone else having this problem? Thank you!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2015, 07:03 AM
RE: PDF's won't open in OE
(01-25-2015 03:41 PM)Braintree Wrote:  Since I installed Outlook Express I've never been able to open pdf attachments within OE even though Adobe Reader is updated and installed right and I can open pdf's on my desktop. Anyone else having this problem? Thank you!

Go on your control panel > Default programs and check if acrobat reader is set default.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
01-27-2015, 07:21 PM
(01-26-2015 07:03 AM)Rafail Wrote:  Go on your control panel > Default programs and check if acrobat reader is set default.

Under my Default Programs list (attached), nothing is listed related to PDF's. Under file types (attached), it shows that Adobe Reader is associated with PDF's, yet from Outlook Express emails, PDF's won't open.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-28-2015, 03:46 AM
The error message says that there is no program associated with attachent type, if .pdf extension is associated with acrobat reader then make sure that when you double click on .pdf file it opens correctly with Acroabt reader.
Also make sure that the attachment file is .pdf (not other file extension).

As final step, try reinstalling acrobat reader and check your outlook express security settings

Rafail B.
Administrator
01-29-2015, 09:04 PM
(01-28-2015 03:46 AM)Rafail Wrote:  The error message says that there is no program associated with attachent type, if .pdf extension is associated with acrobat reader then make sure that when you double click on .pdf file it opens correctly with Acroabt reader.
Also make sure that the attachment file is .pdf (not other file extension).

As final step, try reinstalling acrobat reader and check your outlook express security settings.

Thank you so much, Rafail! Your advice caused me to delve deeper into the program associations. For some reason the issue wouldn't resolve for me via Default Programs in the Control Panel, but I used a little program I've had called "Types" - it shows TWO .pdf listings (why two I don't know), but in making sure that BOTH were associated with Adobe Reader, problem was solved.

01-30-2015, 05:31 AM
hmm. interesting. Glad you solved it!

Rafail B.
Administrator