Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Outlook Express V6 (2.0) not opening
03-31-2015, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 11:31 PM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] Outlook Express V6 (2.0) not opening
I have just downloaded and installed your version of OE6 on my Win7 64 bit machine. It takes at least two minutes for anything to happen when I click either msimn.exe or StartOE.exe. When it does open, nothing works, except for the warning '(not responding)' in the title bar and a revolving cursor. What am I doing wrong or what can be done to make it work?

The very first time I opened it, it worked OK and I could explore and compare it with my trusty old version on my XP machine that is still running fine. I also managed to modify the icon bar. It is such a simple and convenient program to use, I want to continue if possible. Subsequent times of trying to open it, it just freezes with the title bar warning. I have restarted the machine without any improvement.

I have attached a screengrab    

Please can you advise.
Thanks in anticipation. Regards.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2015, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 02:44 AM by Rafail.)
RE: Outlook Express V6 (2.0) not opening
Hello, usually antivirus programms like Eset are trying to install an addon on Outlook Express. Read This thread http://runasxp.com/Thread-SOLVED-OE-Cras...light=eset .This makes OE crash or hang.
Please let me know what antivirus you have.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
03-31-2015, 03:08 AM
(03-31-2015 02:43 AM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello, usually antivirus programms like Eset are trying to install an addon on Outlook Express. Read This thread http://runasxp.com/Thread-SOLVED-OE-Cras...light=eset .This makes OE crash or hang.
Please let me know what antivirus you have.

I'm using AVG Free. I should have added that I have tried to load OE with AVG temporarily disabled, but without any luck.
03-31-2015, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 03:24 AM by Rafail.)
[Image: AVG-settings-email-protection-email-scanner-webmail.jpg].

Launch the AVG program (the AVG icon on the Desktop).
Click Options,Advanced Settings,Email Protection>EmailScanner
UNCheck the Scan emails (See Pic)

If that Did not work. Try reinstalling OE and restarting your PC

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-31-2015, 04:55 AM
(03-31-2015 03:23 AM)Rafail Wrote:  
[Image: AVG-settings-email-protection-email-scanner-webmail.jpg].

Launch the AVG program (the AVG icon on the Desktop).
Click Options,Advanced Settings,Email Protection>EmailScanner
UNCheck the Scan emails (See Pic)

If that Did not work. Try reinstalling OE and restarting your PC

I've just tried to install the program again. It didn't work first time and came up with an error message with about three lines of code on it. I have attached a screen grab of the window.    

This has happened each time I delete and reinstall the program. AVG was disabled and all other windows closed during the installation.
The program did however open - eventually - but after closing it and re-opening, it again froze with the same error message in title bar. Please help.
03-31-2015, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 05:19 AM by Rafail.)
well, thats a permission error. That means that some app, antivirus security dont allow to install OE.

You can do this as final step: Reboot your pc on safe mode with networking.
to go to 'safe mode with netowrking' press continiuosly 'F8' key while computer starts. Then select form the list "Safe mode with networking"

Since you entered safe mode, try reinstalling Outlook Express. Normally it will install fine.

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-31-2015, 03:27 PM
(03-31-2015 05:18 AM)Rafail Wrote:  well, thats a permission error. That means that some app, antivirus security dont allow to install OE.

You can do this as final step: Reboot your pc on safe mode with networking.
to go to 'safe mode with netowrking' press continiuosly 'F8' key while computer starts. Then select form the list "Safe mode with networking"

Since you entered safe mode, try reinstalling Outlook Express. Normally it will install fine.

After a good night's sleep I tried again, but unfortunately it hasn't worked even in Safe Mode. I tried it twice, second time disabling Windows firewall as well. Each time I get just one error code    

I am installing the program on my large drive instead of my boot drive SSD in order to save space on the SSD. Might that be the problem? All my other program installs, other than Windows, are in the 'Program Files (x86)' directory on my large drive and all work fine.

Thanks again for your prompt help
03-31-2015, 05:03 PM
Yes, installing on other drive may cause problems, because oe need to be installed on system drive.
Oe does not require much space. so please try reinstalling on C drive

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-31-2015, 10:58 PM
(03-31-2015 05:03 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Yes, installing on other drive may cause problems, because oe need to be installed on system drive.
Oe does not require much space. so please try reinstalling on C drive

SUCCESS!!! Yes that seemed to work. Hopefully now all is OK and I can get all my different email accounts installed.

OE was, and now still is, the quickest and best way of getting emails. I am sure a lot of people will be very pleased that it can live on in the new versions of Windows. It just needs to be a bit easier to find. I came across your site by accident.

Just two questions.
1. Your webpage graphic shows the original splashscreen that came up at the start. Has this now gone?
2. Is it necessary for the 'user account control' screen to show before the program opens, or can this be bypassed?

Thanks again for your prompt and very useful advice. I am new to Windows 7, even at this late stage!
Smile
Regards
03-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Hello, Happy to hear that you solved it!,
the plash screen is there but it opens very quickly and most of times you wont even see it on 7.
As for Uac prompts, well version 2 creates a shortcut on desktop that bupas UAC prompt, please check if your shortcut target is "C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "StartOE"
if not create a new shortcut with that path. Else you can use This tool to make that automaticly.

Have a nice day!

Rafail B.
Administrator