Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] OE6 can't be installed on Win7 64-bit
11-18-2014, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 04:46 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] OE6 can't be installed on Win7 64-bit
When downloading this new version of OE6 on my Win7 64-bit PC I get the message from Avast! Antivirus that it contains a virus. When trying to install the program I get the message "This file contains invalid data." I've downloaded and tried to install it three times and every time I get the same results.

What is the problem? Is there a workaround or fix for it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: OE6 can't be installed on Win7 64-bit
That probem is called fake virus alert. when some antivirus software are scannind downloaded files and that files are not from offilcial companies and not authenticated are marked as virus or as high risk and antivirus wont let you run it.

The onlu solution is disabling your antivirus online scan for some minutes and also disable SmartScreen filter (if enabled).

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
11-19-2014, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 07:26 AM by frank14612.)
OK, I wasn't successful in installing the regular OE6 program, but I have been successful in running the portable version. Thank you!

Two questions:

1. Are there any disadvantages in using the portable over the installed version?

2. Are there any disadvantages in using the portable version of OE6 as opposed to using Mozilla Thunderbird? In other words, would I be doing someone a favor or not by recommending the use of the new OE6 *instead of* Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Frank
11-21-2014, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 03:55 AM by Rafail.)
(11-19-2014 07:21 AM)frank14612 Wrote:  OK, I wasn't successful in installing the regular OE6 program, but I have been successful in running the portable version. Thank you!

Two questions:

1. Are there any disadvantages in using the portable over the installed version?

2. Are there any disadvantages in using the portable version of OE6 as opposed to using Mozilla Thunderbird? In other words, would I be doing someone a favor or not by recommending the use of the new OE6 *instead of* Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Portable version does not support saving account passwords (but if you have installed the installer version it will also save passwords, also it does not support sending emails with right click "SendTo" menu.
But portable version has the advantage to run on any pc without installation and keeps emails and acount settings on same folder.
I suggest Outlook express because it is easier than thunderbird, but thunderbird is also a very good choice!

Rafail B.
Administrator
11-21-2014, 07:33 AM
(11-21-2014 03:53 AM)Rafail Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 07:21 AM)frank14612 Wrote:  OK, I wasn't successful in installing the regular OE6 program, but I have been successful in running the portable version. Thank you!

Two questions:

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Portable version does not support saving account passwords (but if you have installed the installer version it will also save passwords, also it does not support sending emails with right click "SendTo" menu.
But portable version has the advantage to run on any pc without installation and keeps emails and acount settings on same folder.
I suggest Outlook express because it is easier than thunderbird, but thunderbird is also a very good choice!
Thank you! I appreciate your help and comments. Smile

Frank
11-26-2014, 07:06 PM
FYI, I had no problem installing under Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 (w administrator rights, ofc). Cool

I just noticed the installer makes use of registry entries in 'HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers' to bypass security limitations introduced by Windows 7; it would be desirable that such hacks be thoroughly documented in the interest of public safety. Idea
11-27-2014, 05:38 AM
(11-26-2014 07:06 PM)midas Wrote:  FYI, I had no problem installing under Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 (w administrator rights, ofc). Cool

I just noticed the installer makes use of registry entries in 'HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers' to bypass security limitations introduced by Windows 7; it would be desirable that such hacks be thoroughly documented in the interest of public safety. Idea

Hello,
That registry key values are for xp compatibility mode.

Rafail B.
Administrator