Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] No tray icon
01-31-2016, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 02:06 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] No tray icon
I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit version. I have no tray icon in the bottom right system tray. It doesn't show in the little box that pops up when you click on the up arrow, either. I changed the settings in Windows 10 so that it shows an icon in the tray when new mail arrives, but otherwise there is no icon there. That means I can't right click on it to find out anything about the version of OE that I'm using. I know it's the 2nd one that came out and that is all I know.

Can this be fixed?

Thank you

Ron K
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2016, 06:52 PM
RE: No tray icon
Hello,
when did you downloaded and installed it?
if not tray icon is shown, and if you don't have changed your shortcut path, most likely you have an older version.
you can browse to oe installation path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express) and check if file "tray.exe" exists. If not you have older verison.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
01-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Rafail,

I just checked like you said and there is no 'tray.exe' in the folder, so I must have an older version. After church I'll download the new one and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Ron K.

P.S. I tried to get Cloudeight to recommend your program, but they said they do so much with windows Mail in Windows 7, 8 and 10, that they can't use OE because it destroys Windows Mail. They also felt it was unstable and that IMAP could not be used with OE. I tried that yesterday and found that IMAP does work okay with it. They also said MS Outlook wouldn't work along side OE, but I also told them my MS Outlook works just fine.
I think you are going great with OE, and your support is good, too.
Thank you so much for your efforts.
01-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Thank you Ron.
The only issue was when windows mail was installed, it may not function correctly because uses some system files that OE does.
Actually Windows mail is partially removed on Windows 7 and later my Microsoft in any case.

And, yes, Pop3 works well with OE.

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-01-2016, 01:45 AM
I downloaded the new version and all is like you say it should be. Good! And thank you!
02-01-2016, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2016 04:32 PM by ronnycopeh.)
RE: [SOLVED] No tray icon
(01-31-2016 07:29 PM)RKelly5327 Wrote:  Rafail,

I just checked like you said and there is no 'tray.exe' in the folder, so I must have an older version. After church I'll download the new one and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Ron K.

P.S. I tried to get Cloudeight to recommend your program, but they said they do so much with windows Mail in Windows 7, 8 and 10, that they can't use OE because it destroys Windows Mail. They also felt it was unstable and that IMAP could not be used with OE. I tried that yesterday and found that IMAP does work okay with it. They also said MS Outlook wouldn't work along side OE, but I also told them my MS Outlook works just fine.
I think you are going great with OE, and your support is good, too.
Thank you so much for your efforts.

I mention it in Cloudeight and my post was deleted, the reason it that the want you to pay to have them install windows mail. I did with windows 7 but after 10 and I found this great program and I been good, thanks

Windows 10 Pro 64bit , Firefox 47.01, OE 6, IE11, 8GB Ram, 50mg DSL, 1THD, Emsisoft Anti-Malware 11, Windows Firewall, Winpatrol Plus, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on demand,
"Worry about nothing, Pray about anything and Thank God for everything"
02-01-2016, 07:43 AM
I have set up several computers with Windows 7 and on up, to run Windows Mail. It's not terribly difficult, but I've found more than once that when either of the newer versions of Windows did an update, it knocked Windows Mail out of commission and it had to be set up all over again. This new version of OE is a snap to install. Just follow the guidelines of what to do to prevent loss of date when an update does come along, and you are good to go.
I like that "Worry about nothing, Pray about anything and Thank God for everything!" That is great!
02-05-2016, 12:59 AM
The latest- I have tray.exe in the OE folder now, but it only works intermittently when I start OE. Half the time it doesn't work. If I go into the OE folder and right click on tray.exe, and then choose "Run as Administrator", the file will run then and place the icon in the tray.
BTW, Windows Mail can be made to work in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. But regardless, I'd rather use OE. Thanks to you, I can.

Ron K
02-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Oe tray will work only when outlook express is running.
In order tray icon to be shown, outlook express must be started by original shortcut. That shortcut will run automatically as administrator tray and outlook express.
So there is no need to manually run anything.

Rafail B.
Administrator
02-05-2016, 06:16 PM
I have MailWasher set up to start OE after it's deleted the junk mail and spam. That must be why Tray.exe doesn't run.
Thanks.