Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Difficulty in running.
04-18-2015, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 02:26 PM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] Difficulty in running.
Installed fine. Got the key codes sent to me ok. The WAB Windows Address Book works perfect as I imported the WAB address book from one of my email account just the other day (exported as WAB).

I'm Running Windows 8.1 on my desktop and Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Preview in a separate partition on my laptop. I tried the program on Windows 10 to see if there would be any issues first. I installed it on my Windows 8.1PRO on my desktop without any issues.

It created a icon shotrcut on my desktop, that if I click on it absolutely nothing happens. The desktop icon shortcut points to the Windows System32 folder. Is this normal? Here is the actual path: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "StartOE"

I can go the the regular location (x86) programs in the Programs folder and in Outlook Express is the msimn executable that will run the program until I get an error that the program is not running correctly and windows will shut it down.

Looks like a nice enough program, but if it doesn't work, it's not really worth the bother of a download.

Vern

If I can post a picture, it will show what I am seeing. This is after I uninstalled it and turned off my anti virus program. Still same... no go.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2015, 03:52 AM
RE: Difficulty in running.
I got the Outlook Express running by disabling my ESET Nod32 in the part that "integrates" into the email client... THEN it worked. I also disabled the UAC of Windows 8.1

NOW, however, if I try to move the "store" folder to another area or drive I end up with an error that prevents the move and acts just like the previous message that there was no solution and it will shut down.

Any idea why this won't work? You should be able to move the storage folder to any area you want it.
04-19-2015, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 11:36 PM by aksarben.)
(04-19-2015 03:52 AM)aksarben Wrote:  I got the Outlook Express running by disabling my ESET Nod32 in the part that "integrates" into the email client... THEN it worked. I also disabled the UAC of Windows 8.1

NOW, however, if I try to move the "store" folder to another area or drive I end up with an error that prevents the move and acts just like the previous message that there was no solution and it will shut down.

Any idea why this won't work? You should be able to move the storage folder to any area you want it.

Fixed so that the store folders are now shared between Windows 8.1 and XP. I went into the registry and found the key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER down in the software, Outlook Express and in there there is a key called stored folder. I changed it to my G:\Outlook Express Databases\"identity" and "identity" is the name of the folder that I keep one of my email accounts stored in.

If anyone wants it, I can re-post and put in the exact part in the registry where this is found. Suggestion: Do a system Restore and create a restore point before messing with the registry. If something goes bad your restore should bring the registry back as it was at that time of creating the restore point.
04-19-2015, 02:26 PM
aksarben, there was no reason to do all these steps. outlook express tools and right click tray menu will help you change the store folder in single step.

Anyway, The reason of all of those installation problems was Eset, now the only thing you must do is to run startoe.exe (not msimn.exe) for loading outlook express (make sure that you make it run every time with adminitrative rights if not already done).

Or you can just boot on safe mode with networking and reinstall oe (no uninstall needed), so it completes the installation.

Safe mode on window 8.1:
http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-sa...windows-81

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
04-20-2015, 02:04 AM
RE: [SOLVED] Difficulty in running.
(04-19-2015 02:26 PM)Rafail Wrote:  aksarben, there was no reason to do all these steps. outlook express tools and right click tray menu will help you change the store folder in single step.

Anyway, The reason of all of those installation problems was Eset, now the only thing you must do is to run startoe.exe (not msimn.exe) for loading outlook express (make sure that you make it run every time with adminitrative rights if not already done).

Or you can just boot on safe mode with networking and reinstall oe (no uninstall needed), so it completes the installation.

Safe mode on window 8.1:
http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-sa...windows-81

If you are talking about when Outlook Express is running and go to "Tools" and then Options and then Maintenance, that is the normal way to change where the storage folder resides. In this instance, on my machine, it doesn't work. The moment I try to change the "stored folder" location a message pops up that there is a problem, windows is looking for a solution and then you hit ok and the whole Outlook Express shuts down.

I added 2 more email "identities" to the OE. And, in each case if I tried to change it in the normal one click manner, it would shut down on me at that point. So I went into the Registry and sure enough, there is the identity, and you click down through the structure to 5.0 and there on the right side is the store folder data. I just change the store folder location at that point in the registry to where I want it and close the regedit. The very next time I start OE it has found that previously saved store location (one that I had created in Windows XP) and it brings up all that, old emails from "inbox" "Sent" etc. Whatever was a folder in the original XP stored location is now showing up in this identity...now.

Did that with both the new identities and works great.

Where is this "tray icon" that was mentioned?
04-20-2015, 02:25 AM
As i wrote, you have fisrt to make sure that your shortcut points to 'startoe.exe' and NOT 'msimn.exe'. This is done automaticly via installer, but since you have created shortcut yourself must check.

Since you run Outlook Express from startoe.exe you will see a tray icon of Outlook Express on the taskbar icons (bottom right of taskbar). You may have to click on the 'arrow' that expanda the tray icons.

When you ight click on tray icon menu, you will see 'Settings' there, opening settings menu you can change your store folder in just a click.

You can also read the Outlook Epxress Download page that has some pictures of tray icon menu.

[Image: OutlookExpress_7_8_tray2.JPG]

Rafail B.
Administrator
04-20-2015, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 10:19 AM by aksarben.)
OK.. now I found it and there is a little "catch" or glitch to that. When you have multiple identities (several email accounts) and you choose one to be your main default identity to start and the one that a program chooses for email, THAT one that is listed becomes the defacto "identity" in the storage folder found in the Registry. Example: for Sig2022 it was the main identity for starting and etc. (check box) Use this identity when starting a program. Now the one for Sig2022 starts it's identity as {80700264-... and then when I went to change the store folder for Taurus45acp, the tray icon - settings showed {80700264-.... and not what Taurus45acp really was of {DBC6BB32-.... So what I did was wipe out the taurus 45 folder in G with emild dbx from the Sig2022 folder. I had to go back to one of my recent backups and copy and paste all the files from the backup into the Taurus45acp folder so that things would show. I lost a little bit of mail, which would be the most recent. Normally that is not an issue, but the recent emails were reminders that I had bills to services like TV, Electricity, etc.

Got that all figured out and here is my work around. When you add a new identity and then go to that identity, set it up as you wish, account info and then options. In the options choose "Maintenance" and then at the bottom "Store Folder" and look at that but DON't edit anything. It will tell you the start of the identity "Identifier" that has now been set up in the registry. THAT is the one for THAT particular email. If you have folders already with email in them you will be able to either sync with your other OS (like XP) that has that same location, or you will have a stored folder that you have already moved and created from some time ago. Either way, you want the right path for the right email. When you click the notification icon and right click and choose "settings" you will see the change store folder as was mentioned above. If it is not the right identity, don't go any further, stop and then go back into your email that was just set up, choose File - Identities- Manage Identities and put the new email address account "name" as the one in the 2 lower fields. THEN when you go back to look at the settings in that notification icon right click, your "Identity" will be the correct one, associated with this email you are wanting to change the location of the storage folder on.

One other little quirk that I noticed from this Outlook Express ver 2.0 from RunAsXP. I clicked a link in an email that took me to my default web browser, in this case it's Firefox. It's up to date for version (Firefox). However, in the upper right corner of the browser there is a black rectangular space that usually represent the minimize/full screen/X (close) buttons. They are missin, but if you click in the right area they do minimize or close, it's just not showing up in the browser.

I came back into here with just starting Firefox and all those 3 icons at the upper right are now visible. Why would going to a link from an email make a difference in the web browser behavior?
04-20-2015, 03:00 PM
That has not to do with outlook express, there is no way oe can affect firefox.

Rafail B.
Administrator
04-28-2015, 10:50 AM

(04-20-2015 03:00 PM)Rafail Wrote:  That has not to do with outlook express, there is no way oe can affect firefox.

Sorry but something is missing. I clicked a link to the http://www.usps.com site that was about a tracking number. I got that black rectangle at the top upper right corner where the minimize/full screen/exit "X" icon buttons are using OE6 (from here) Did it several times to see if there might be some glitch, and came up with the same issue.

Then I clicked the link from POP Peeper that took me to the http://www.usps.com website and worked every time. Upper right icons in place and show. Went back to Outlook Express, clicked the very same exact link, got an error and the missing icon in the upper right again. POP Peeper - worked OE 6 - failed.

I inclued picutre screen saves so that you can see that I am not making this up. So, it's not [SOLVED] as quite yet.
04-28-2015, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 04:50 PM by Rafail.)
The [SOLVED] was for your question when you opened this thread (eset intergration problem that solved.

As i wrote before that is a firefox problem and has not to do with outlook express.
This forum is only for asking questions for outlook express, and not general software help forum.
If you have problems with firefox you should post your isues to mozilla forum.

I did a quick search on google and i found that this problem is a common firefox problem.And of course that has not to do with outlook express. you may be get help on mozilla forums like here or here.

regards

Rafail B.
Administrator