Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] .Contact Files Can No Longer Open
08-17-2014, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 03:32 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] .Contact Files Can No Longer Open
Gentlemen - Today I downloaded your latest version of Outlook Express (August 15, 2014) and it is working well. Thank you for the updated features you have included in this version. I have, however, run into a new problem. All of my Windows contacts (.contact files) are now grayed out and cannot be opened. Accordingly, no new contacts can be added and no editing can be done to the current ones in my address book. These .contact files did not experience this problem with any of your previous versions. I would appreciate it if you would look into this. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on 2 fairly new computers (each are 4 months old) and the problem is identical on both of them. Thank you.

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2014, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 10:44 PM by Rafail.)
RE: .Contact Files Can No Longer Open
Hello Richard,

Yes this probled caused because windows mail in new version has been disabled, and windows address book (that opens .contact files) is a part of it.
Dont worry, since windows address book does not conflict with outlook express you can do the following:

1.go to your program files folder, find the folder "Windows mail old"
2.from that folder copy the files: wab,wabimp.dll,wabimg
2.go back to "program files" folder and create a folder called "windows mail"
3.paste the files copied from "Windows mail old".

repeat this process for the "program files (x86)" folder if you are running on 64bit windows.

that problem will be fixed on next version

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
08-18-2014, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 03:12 AM by hairygertz47.)
(08-17-2014 08:19 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello Richard,

Yes this probled caused because windows mail in new version has been disabled, and windows address book (that opens .contact files) is a part of it.
Dont worry, since windows address book does not conflict with outlook express you can do the following:

repeat this process for the "program files (x86)" folder if you are running on 64bit windows.

(08-18-2014 03:05 AM)hairygertz47 Wrote:  
(08-17-2014 08:19 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello Richard,

Rafail - I have tried numerous times today to get my contact list to unlock using your instructions. It simply does not work for me. When I have the time and energy to uninstall/reinstall OE6 in the next few days I will try that. All of the overwrites that I have done since your 1st version of the program have likely corrupted many of the files in the program. Thank you for your prompt response to my query, but it looks like I will probably have to wait for your next update before I am able to unlock and update my .contact files,

Best regards,

Richard
08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
i will upload a patch that will fix this problem soon.

Rafail B.
Administrator
08-26-2014, 04:23 AM
please download last version.

Rafail B.
Administrator