Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Can you help with OE6 using Windows XP?
04-04-2016, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 12:49 AM by Rafail.)
[SOLVED] Can you help with OE6 using Windows XP?
I know this forum is for users who have moved on from Windows XP. But, I just thought someone might have a clue as to why I can't setup an account using OE6 with Windows XP. I know there are many frustrated folks who just one day discovered that their OE6 had stopped working using their Windows XP machine. I have a zoomtown email account that works just fine with the user name and password on Mozilla Thunderbird and zoomtown web mail. This means the problem I am having with OE6 is the program itself and not the account.

When I try to setup the account and send an email, here is the error message I get:

[Image: original.jpg]

Here are the ports I am using by default:

When I start with a "new identity" to try and setup the account. I actually get the welcome mesage in the inbox from Microsoft, but I still can't send--I get the same error message.

pop3 is pop.zoomtown.com
smtp is smtp.zoomtown.com

I read a funny story while I was trying to research my problem on the internet. There was a couple who used the same computer and the same OE6 program. They had seperate log ins on their computer, but their settings were identical except for their email user names and passwords. One day the man's OE6 email did not work, but his wife's was fine! Was it some other program the guy was using that his wife was not, or did Microsoft have something to do with it?

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have. I am trying to get this computer working with OE6 and Windows XP for my brother. At one time he had a Road Runner account, and OE6 seemed to work fine with it. Then sometime in 2012 he changed to the Zoomtown ISP, and they have not been able to get OE6 working after that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2016, 07:43 PM
RE: Can you help with OE6 using Windows XP?
Hello XP user!, yes this forum is for outlook express for newer windows (Windows 7, 8, 10 e.t.c) but of course we will try to help!

About ISP, it is true that some isp's block port 25, but the error you are getting is invalis password so most likely it is not isp issue.
May i ask, have you tried to use full email on username?

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
04-04-2016, 09:50 PM
(04-04-2016 07:43 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello XP user!, yes this forum is for outlook express for newer windows (Windows 7, 8, 10 e.t.c) but of course we will try to help!

About ISP, it is true that some isp's block port 25, but the error you are getting is invalis password so most likely it is not isp issue.
May i ask, have you tried to use full email on username?

Hello Rafail. Thanks for having a look at my problem. I don't know much about Outlook Express, so please bear with me. Here is what the header info was for a known good email that was sent using a different email ISP. This was a Road Runner account. I just put asteriks for the user names:

To: "TM ********" <**********@hotmail.com>
References: <BAY155-W283B49C8D8F44E7EC3BB8CDA9C0@phx.gbl>
Subject: Re: THE TSC Car Show @ One Way Farm-This Saturday
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:49:46 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0043_01CD9CD0.19E57090"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01CD9CD0.19E57090
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mike
I am very sorry to say that my company has scheduled our inventory =
event for Saturday and has made attendance mandatory. Everyone is =
scheduled to work 8 hrs that day but if I get out early I will be =
there.... good luck.....

Ted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is from a message in the outbox that has not been sent because the message failed to send:

To: <******@hotmail.com>
Subject: test
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 11:34:22 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0011_01D18E65.EEE940C0"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6157

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01D18E65.EEE940C0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"

test
------=_NextPart_000_0011_01D18E65.EEE940C0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.6104" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>test</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01D18E65.EEE940C0--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this of any help? Thanks.
04-04-2016, 11:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 11:10 PM by Rafail.)
To be hones that does not help. but please check on your account settings if the "Account Name" field contains the full email.

Rafail B.
Administrator
04-05-2016, 03:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 04:22 AM by exreo.)
That field only had the user name, but I changed it to include the full email which is ********@zoomtown.com. It did not help. I also tried with secure authenication and without secure authenication required, and that didn't make any difference. Thanks.

Wow! I don't know what happened, but all of the sudden when I opened OE6, it downloaded about 150 messages to the inbox that were dated 2/2015 to 4/2016. One was just sent a few minutes ago, and then all have the zoomtown domain address. So, I wonder if 50% of my problem is solved as I seem to be able to receive messages now. But, I still can't send. Let me try to change the port from 25 to either 465 or 587. Thanks.

Still no joy on sending. I changed the outgoing port from 25 to 465 and then 587. Secure password authentication made no difference either.
04-05-2016, 06:13 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 06:27 AM by exreo.)
The error message is always the same. It says I can't login and the error code is always 0x800CCC79. There are sites on the internet that say this is due to a corrupted registry. This computer was not maintained for 8 years. When I ran SuperAntiSpyware the first time, it found about 10 trojans and other garbage that have since been deleted. Do you think this could be a registry problem or are the "registry fixers" just trying to sell me their software? Thanks.

I just ran a free registry scanner that deleted about 5300 things. Didn't help as I still can't send emails. Thanks.
04-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Is there a way to uninstall OE6 and reinstall it? I have a OEM copy of Windows XP, but it is not for this computer. This computer is running XP media Center edition. Thanks.
04-05-2016, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 09:42 PM by Rafail.)
There is no need to reinstall oe. it is not a missing file there and for sure this is not registry problem so dont spend time on that,
Please check if you have checked "My server requires authentication" as in picture below.

Also please check your email folders for corruption:
File>Folder>Compact all folders.

Rafail B.
Administrator
04-05-2016, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2016 11:02 PM by exreo.)
(04-05-2016 09:42 PM)Rafail Wrote:  There is no need to reinstall oe. it is not a missing file there and for sure this is not registry problem so dont spend time on that,
Please check if you have checked "My server requires authentication" as in picture below.

Also please check your email folders for corruption:
File>Folder>Compact all folders.

Well we are making progress. Now I can send, but I can't receive! I clicked on tools\accounts\properties\servers and ticked the box that says "my server requires authentication". Then I clicked on "settings" and this box came up:

When I ticked "Log on Using" and entered the name and password, I was able to send email! Now the problem is I can't receive emails. Any ideas? Thanks. BTW, when I tick the box that says "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" and then click "OK", I immediately get a pop up box that wants me to enter my user name and password. This box will always keep popping up even though my user name and password are correct, so I just close the box. This is where I am at. This is a user name/password problem in Outlook Express. The user name and password work just fine on Thunderbird and
Zoomtown web mail.

OK Rafail, I think we got it. I'm not exactly sure what I did to get the receive part going, but OE6 is now sending and receiving emails. Let's see if it holds up. I hope it will. Later I am going to take screen shots of where all the dialog boxes should be set in case somebody has this problem in the future. I will post them in this thread--is that OK?

Thanks for all your help!!

Craig in Ft. Worth, TX
04-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Yes of course it is OK, I am happy that helped you.

Rafail B.
Administrator