Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quick Question?
11-17-2015, 01:46 AM
Quick Question?
Why does your version of OE use Task Scheduler to launch as opposed to launching MSIMN like it did back in XP days?

-W (just curious is all)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2015, 03:30 AM
RE: Quick Question?
It uses Task Scheduler to avoid UAC prompts on windows 7 and 8.
but you can run it normally from start menu shortcut (not from desktop one) that runs it directly. In that case if UAC is enabled you will have to click to allow it to run avery time.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
11-17-2015, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2015 10:15 AM by vrapp.)
Rafail, maybe you might take a look at this article:
http://meridian.ws/wordpress/?p=306

As I understand, this task scheduler trick is also the reason of the effect I posted at http://runasxp.com/Thread-Second-icon-in-taskbar

Can you share, what is the purpose of StartOE.exe, compared to msimn.exe and fidolook.exe?

P.S. I wonder if UAC has ever actually prevented anything for anyone in human history.
11-18-2015, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2015 12:36 AM by Rafail.)
StartOE.exe adds the tray icon for outlook express.
msimn.exe starts outlook express but in newer windows it should not be opened directly because it needs administrative rights. On XP, user rights were much more that next windows versions and thre was not need for that.
StartOE adds administrative rights also.
fidolook.exe adds fidolook addon and it is not required.
Hope that helped!

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------