Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problems when I open the program, NOT RESPONDING!
07-27-2016, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2016 06:56 AM by RunAmok.)
RE: Problems when I open the program, NOT RESPONDING!
(07-25-2016 05:09 AM)Rafail Wrote:  its hard to say that Preview pane is caused by ie because it rarely happens, but as i have seen, it does not happen on ie8
No, spell checker works on 32 bit also, you can use it.
Outlook express.exe is the correct shortcut (where oe should start from), so its correct.

I haven't been able to isolate what causes the blank preview pane. I've tried to find something in common when it happens, but so far I haven't found anything. It happens at random intervals, even when OE is the only thing running and the system is effectively idle. I have 6 identities, switch between them quite often, and I see that missing preview pane several times a day when I switch, but... it's not a major problem since all I have to do is exit and restart OE.

Thanks! I installed the spell checker, which seems to be working fine. Interestingly, some of the registry entries point to "Program Files" and not "Program files (86)" as the 32 bit .reg file posted in another thread shows, but OE 2.0 originally installed here on a W7x32 system in Program Files too for some reason - and the 2.1.1 update left it there.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2016, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 03:54 AM by george38.)
how do you get to eset to make changes? Oe works once only on start up then when i return does not respond.

every body here seems to get to eset i don't know how . is there another program or install to get there. is there a link to eset. i have to restart to use OE . win7 pro 64 bit. i've downloaded and installed several times . i lost count and don't know if i can download again. i'm a long time user but not a tech.
08-16-2016, 06:04 AM
(08-16-2016 03:26 AM)george38 Wrote:  how do you get to eset to make changes? Oe works once only on start up then when i return does not respond.

every body here seems to get to eset i don't know how . is there another program or install to get there. is there a link to eset. i have to restart to use OE . win7 pro 64 bit. i've downloaded and installed several times . i lost count and don't know if i can download again. i'm a long time user but not a tech.

I don't have eset, and I see the same symptoms here fairly often. Sometimes it will finally catch up and continue on, but more often I give up and X out and start over - sometimes several times. It seems to depend on how busy the system is, and appears to be more about high disk activity than processor load or memory use.

From Task Manager, I can see that msimn.exe is set to run at "Below Normal" priority and the system won't let me change it to "Normal". I suspect that's contributing to the problem.
08-16-2016, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 03:11 PM by george38.)
(08-16-2016 06:04 AM)RunAmok Wrote:  
(08-16-2016 03:26 AM)george38 Wrote:  how do you get to eset to make changes? Oe works once only on start up then when i return does not respond.

I don't have eset, and I see the same symptoms here fairly often. Sometimes it will finally catch up and continue on, but more often I give up and X out and start over - sometimes several times. It seems to depend on how busy the system is, and appears to be more about high disk activity than processor load or memory use.

From Task Manager, I can see that msimn.exe is set to run at "Below Normal" priority and the system won't let me change it to "Normal". I suspect that's contributing to the problem.

once i open oe6 i never close it but, minimize it to the taskbar, where it sits till closedown --its okay on startup
08-17-2016, 12:13 AM

(08-16-2016 03:27 AM)george38 Wrote:  Every body here seems to get to eset i don't know how . is there another program or install to get there. is there a link to eset. i have to restart to use OE . win7 pro 64 bit. i've downloaded and installed several times . i lost count and don't know if i can download again. i'm a long time user but not a tech.

(08-16-2016 06:04 AM)RunAmok Wrote:  I don't have eset, and I see the same symptoms here fairly often. Sometimes it will finally catch up and continue on, but more often I give up and X out and start over - sometimes several times. It seems to depend on how busy the system is, and appears to be more about high disk activity than processor load or memory use.

(08-16-2016 09:07 AM)george38 Wrote:  once i open oe6 i never close it but, minimize it to the taskbar, where it sits till closedown --its okay on startup

Quite often, I see the Not Responding here when I start up or switch identities and the small window asking me to enter the password pops up. Everything looks normal until I enter a password and it's hung from then on. It's evidently waiting for ?something? and never 'sees' whatever it's looking for.

Even when OE is minimized, it's still active and running, for example checking for new mail at regular intervals. I'm still guessing that running at "Low Priority" is a contributor, and I found that I can start the Task Manager using "Run as Admin" and then it lets me set the priority to "Normal". I'll be doing that for a while to see if that changes anything.