Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problems when I open the program, NOT RESPONDING!
04-18-2016, 01:22 AM
Problems when I open the program, NOT RESPONDING!
I actually got this to work flawlessly on a Toshiba Portege M780 with Windows 7, 64 bit - have the HD partitioned to C: for windows and D; for backups and D; is where I have my outlook express directories, and has been working for over a year.

Got it to work on my Toshiba Mini NB305 with the exact same Windows 7 (don't ask) - have the HD partitioned to C: for windows and D; for backups and D; is where I have my outlook express directories, and has been working for well over a year.

Several months ago it was time to get a faster used Desktop for the office, Dell 620, I5, 8GB, etc etc..........., and again, same exact Windows 7 Program Disk............, - have the HD partitioned to C: for windows and D; for backups and D; is where I have my outlook express directories. "IT WILL NOT WORK",

Oh, immediately after the I install, it will open up, I change storage location, fill in the pop dots, send an email out to make sure that works, CLOSE IT DOWN and then RE-OPEN, no problem.

But that's the last time it works,

It freezes up, I can see the file directory's on the left box, Saved, Sent emails etc, but the right side where the emails are to be opened, JUST A BLANK, and when I use the mouse to get to an area, the "not responding" message comes up.

I just now downloaded and donated $10.00 to get the newer 2.1 version............., SAME PROBLEM!

I know you'll eventually get this solved, just hope it's sooner then later.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2016, 02:17 AM
RE: Problems when I open the program, NOT RESPONDING!
The 2 reasons that oe may go "Not Responding" are either eset antivirus or bad (corrupt) email folders (dbx files).
in first case (eset), userst that have eset need to change a setting. That setting is an add-on that eset uses for emails clients that is incompatible with oe and will cause it not responding. That setting can easly changed (disable that add-on):
http://runasxp.com/Thread-Eset-Email-cli...on-disable

In second case (no eset installed), most likely it is something bad with dbx files or path. I would suggest moving dbx files to another directory and open oe.OE will create new dbx files (blank) and if that solves the problem it means that old dbx files are corrupt.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
04-18-2016, 04:29 AM
(04-18-2016 02:17 AM)Rafail Wrote:  The 2 reasons that oe may go "Not Responding" are either eset antivirus or bad (corrupt) email folders (dbx files).
in first case (eset), userst that have eset need to change a setting. That setting is an add-on that eset uses for emails clients that is incompatible with oe and will cause it not responding. That setting can easly changed (disable that add-on):

In second case (no eset installed), most likely it is something bad with dbx files or path. I would suggest moving dbx files to another directory and open oe.OE will create new dbx files (blank) and if that solves the problem it means that old dbx files are corrupt.

Thanks Rafail!

I don't have ESET but I'll try the 2nd!
07-14-2016, 10:25 AM
(04-18-2016 02:17 AM)Rafail Wrote:  The 2 reasons that oe may go "Not Responding" are either eset antivirus or bad (corrupt) email folders (dbx files).

(04-18-2016 04:29 AM)graham Wrote:  Thanks Rafail!

I don't have ESET but I'll try the 2nd!

I see this problem quite often, and it appears to be related to high disk activity. Often, after loading, the emails display but there's nothing in the preview pane. And if I try to do anything - or just enter my POP3 password, everything stops and Task Manager says it's Not Responding. There's plenty of disk space available, memory usage is usually 1/3 of available memory, and processor load is minimal on one (or both) cores. But if something is hitting the disk hard - like the daily Windows update check, a malware scan, or even a large file copy, OE just stops Responding.

Sometimes it will recover if I wait long enough, but usually I just force close it and start it again later - when everything will work normally again. So there's no dbx corruption, and no eset here.
I should mention that I'm still using an older version of OE6, and this problem may have been addressed in the newer versions.
07-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Then please try installing new version.

Rafail B.
Administrator
07-15-2016, 01:24 AM
(07-14-2016 09:29 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Then please try installing new version.

That's a reasonable response, but... the original post noted that it was still happening after upgrading. And right now at least I know where the 'bugs' are and how to get around them. Still... one of these days, I'll make sure I have a full backup, and try the latest version. Until then though, it looks like this problem may still be affecting at least version 2.1.
07-24-2016, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2016 01:06 AM by RunAmok.)
(07-14-2016 09:29 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Then please try installing new version.

Quote:RunAmok' pid='7800' dateline='1468524246']
That's a reasonable response, but... the original post noted that it was still happening after upgrading. And right now at least I know where the 'bugs' are and how to get around them. Still... one of these days, I'll make sure I have a full backup, and try the latest version. Until then though, it looks like this problem may still be affecting at least version 2.1.

I finally bit the bullet, did a full save/backup, and installed the newest version. Give or take a couple surprises, it went well. Everything was still there - and worked - when it was done.

I was surprised that it still installed in Program Files rather than Program Files(x86) since this is a W7x32 system. I was surprised that it wanted a key for an upgrade of an existing installation, and more surprised when it told me that the key used in the original install was already in use in another computer. I was surprised that I could no longer display the control panel ("Problem loading page") after I clicked on the OE icon in the systray - until I did a reboot. And I was disappointed that it still only allowed French as a spelling language.

But after the install and reboot, I still had the "Not Responding" problem. When I checked the Program Files folder, I could see there were newer files there - along with some of the original files which are evidently no longer used. I finally realized that the quick access icon I normally use was still pointing to the StartOE file while the new desktop icon was pointing to the Outlook Express file. Using the new shortcut, things were (not surprisingly) still a little slow during heavy disk access, but no more hang with No Responding. So overall, give or take a spell check, things are good.

{Edit} Spoke too soon. I'm still seeing the problem where I switch identities and the preview pane is empty. Exiting and restarting still resolves that problem.
07-24-2016, 04:50 AM
So you solved "not responding" by changing the shortcut?
Sounds bit strange. the empty pane usually has to do with internet explorer version. What ie version do you have?

English spell check can be downloaded here:
http://runasxp.com/Thread-English-Spell-...it-Windows

Rafail B.
Administrator
07-24-2016, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2016 09:07 PM by RunAmok.)
(07-24-2016 04:50 AM)Rafail Wrote:  So you solved "not responding" by changing the shortcut?
Sounds bit strange. the empty pane usually has to do with internet explorer version. What ie version do you have?

English spell check can be downloaded here:
http://runasxp.com/Thread-English-Spell-...it-Windows

It would be more accurate to say the 'not responding' problem was resolved by upgrading to the latest version - as you'd suggested. But Even though the latest version was installed, the icon I had been using in the quick access list was still pointing to "StartOE.exe" - which was still there in the Program Files folder. The icon created on my desktop by the upgrade pointed to "Outlook Express.exe" which I presume initializes differently or references other files than StartOE does.

Internet Explorer 11, with the latest cumulative patch.

Isn't that spell checker for 64 bit Windows? As I mentioned, I'm running the 32 bit version. Didn't I read here somewhere that the French spell check problem was resolved by a newer version?
07-25-2016, 05:09 AM
its hard to say that Preview pane is caused by ie because it rarely happens, but as i have seen, it does not happen on ie8
No spell checker works on 32 bit also, you can use it.
Outlook express.exe is the correct shortcut (where oe should start from), so its correct.

Rafail B.
Administrator