Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PowerPoint attachment in e-mail
05-09-2016, 05:51 AM
PowerPoint attachment in e-mail
If an e-mail has a PowerPoint (.pps) attachment that I double-click to open, I get a pop-up that tells me (roughly speaking) that the system does not know what software to use. BTW, I have installed PowerPoint. If I then save the .pps file, I can double-click and open it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2016, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2016 07:20 PM by Rafail.)
RE: PowerPoint attachment in e-mail
you can righ click on a .pps file and click "Properties" to see if file is associated correctly with powerpoint.

you also can save attachments first before opening to see if you can open them after saving.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
05-13-2016, 08:07 AM
(05-09-2016 07:19 PM)Rafail Wrote:  you can righ click on a .pps file and click "Properties" to see if file is associated correctly with powerpoint.

you also can save attachments first before opening to see if you can open them after saving.

As I said in my original post, yes the PPS files in my computer open correctly - they have the correct association to PowerPoint. If I right-click on a .pps attachment, the only options are Open, Print, Save As and Save All. I know that under Windows XP, I could open the PPS attachment directly from the email. But now, under Windows 7, if I double-click the attachment, I get a pop-up saying "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Pleasse install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."
05-14-2016, 04:28 PM
After some search i found that this happens some times with powerpoint and pdf attachments, not in outlook express only but on many email clients.
I need you to tell me the power point version you have installed so i can help you how to fix it.
Also if you have installed Power point viewer or office power point.

Rafail B.
Administrator
05-16-2016, 07:32 AM
Rafail -

I have installed the PowerPoint viewer that I got from the following web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...layLang=en

I hope this will help you to find a fix for my "problem".

Thanks, Dave
05-16-2016, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2016 07:28 PM by Rafail.)
Thanks for confirming Dave, i was pretty sure that you had PowerPoint viewer and nor Office Powerpoint. As you can see here it is a common problem and these guys had made a fice for that, but only for xp (not running on 7 and newer).
I am attaching reg file below that normally will fix that, if not, let me know so i check that further.
Download and import the reg file according to your windows bit (64 or 32 bit)

.reg  Pps-32Bit.reg (Size: 5.84 KB / Downloads: 1)

.reg  Pps-64Bit.reg (Size: 5.84 KB / Downloads: 2)

Rafail B.
Administrator
05-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Rafail -
I installed the PPS-64 reg file, but the problem persists.
This is not a game changer - because I Usually save any received PPS attachment in my file folders - but it would be nice to be able to open it first, to see if I recognize it (and have already saved it).
Dave