Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Outlook Express & Windows 10 Update
07-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Exclamation RE: Outlook Express & Windows 10 Update
And if I want to update windows 10 what happens.

Also unistall the program???
Os only does with automatic updates??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 10:27 PM
RE: Outlook Express & Windows 10 Update
Yes it uninstalls it,
automatic win10 updates also uninstall it, but usually only major updates

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
07-13-2016, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 06:37 PM by JamesBond.)
I had now Windows 10 running.

I updated all and says no more updates, so now is the moment to install the program, isn´t it?

How does exactly work update disabler???

Is a portable version?
I execute and done or I had to have it in the system???
07-13-2016, 07:22 PM
yes you can install oe.
Windows 10 update disabler disables windows 10 updates, you can re-enable updates with that tool also.
It is portable and no installaion required.

Rafail B.
Administrator
09-26-2016, 08:36 PM
I copied the whole Outlook Express folder from the x86 Programs folder to "Documents" in my computer. Generally things in your document folders don't get changed. Then I created a shortcut on my desktop and pointed to that new location and I named the shortcut OE6 The program of the shortcut is MSIMN.EXE . It wouldn't let me rename it Outlook Express as there is already a shortcut to that. Interesting thing is that the one created during the insall from Run As XP is located (shortcut) in the System32 folder. What would happen if it was not there, and merely in the Program Files (x86) folder?

As it is, shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "Outlook Express"

I think when the update occurs it sees that in the System32 and merely deletes it as not part of it's system files... Just guessing on that theory though.
09-27-2016, 11:44 AM
The shortcut pointing to system32\shtasks is for avoiding uac prompts. Oe works by running msimn.exe or tray.exe normally. But oe must be reinstalled in order to get it work and copy-paste the folder will not work.

Rafail B.
Administrator
09-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Well, I copy and pasted into the "Documents" folder on an installed and running Outlook Express program with the provided "keys" from the admin. Has been running many months.

I created the shortcut after copy/paste and named it OE6 so it would not conflict with the same name on my desktop.

It works just fine, no issues. Also I have UAC pretty much turned off or set at the lowest point. link: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-...indows-10/ I believe I have it turned off right in the registry. Control panel only goes so far.

It may be why I have not had issues as much with re-installing OE6 on my desktop since I have it turned off. Also I set the desktop for "metered networking" which means it acts like a laptop in regards to downloading updates from Microsoft.... it does not download updates. Again, that is a registry tweak and you have to take ownership of the key to be able to make changes.
09-28-2016, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2016 10:38 AM by aksarben.)
Just had a MAJOR Windows 10 update and when it booted up the Outlook Express was not working. However I had exported the regi file "Identities" to my "Documents" folder and wrote the identities back into the registry by double clicking. Then I opened up Outlook Express I had copied into my "Documents" folder (it was named OE6 on my desktop as a shortcut) and Voila' all my email was there and worked as before. Curious thing though is it asked me if I wanted to make Outlook Express my default mail client, which I did.

In the control panel under Default Programs, though, there is nothing for Outlook Express. Apparently when you install Outlook Express into the computer it writes registry info that now has Outlook Express as a viable email client. Will have to check my laptop and see where the info is written so I can "write" it back in there as well.

I don't think reinstalling OE 6 will solve it. I looked at the registry in Local_Machine_Software_Microsoft_Outlook Express and saw that it was void of any definition of where the software was installed. Ironically, after writing the info back into the regristry of the current_user Identities, I noticed that Outlook Express icon had reappeared, where before there was nothing,but white. I clicked on it and it asked me for a key code to finish, and I tried theones Rafail had sent me (That were reset) and found one that allowed it to complete. NOW when I looked at the registry it is complete with showing where the starting folder is in x-86 Programs. AND it works now, just fine.