Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Outlook Express & Windows 10 Update
07-31-2015, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 10:50 PM by Rafail.)
Information Outlook Express & Windows 10 Update
[Image: c4fj0xz.png]

Information about using OE with Windows 10 or updating to Windows 10

Windows 10 users must know that automatic updates on Windows 10 removes Outlook Express.
Every time a Windows 10 pc performs Automatic Updates, Outlook Express will be removed and need to be re-installed.
More info about software being removed on Win 10 updates:
http://betanews.com/2015/11/24/windows-1...ermission/
In order to prevent this happen, Automatic updates must be turned off on Windows 10.
There is a free tool below that turns off Automatic Updates on Windows 10.

Download Update Disabler

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10:
If you are in previous versions of Windows like Seven, 8 and 8.1 and you will update your PC to Windows 10 you have to reinstall Outlook Express after upgrade.

Exclamation Before you do the update to Windows 10 it is strongly suggested to make a backup to your OE Folders and OE Address book.
How to back up Outlook Express items:

Locate and backup the Store folder and Address book
1. Start Outlook Express.
2. Open tray icon "Settings" menu
3. On Tray icon settings click "Browse Mail folder" Close Outlook express and copy that folder to a USB drive (Backup)
4. On Tray icon settings click "Browse Address Book" Close Outlook express and copy the Address book (Wab) file(s) also (Backup)
5. Open Outlook Express and go to "Tools>Accounts" and click on "Mail" Tab. Select your mail account and click "Export" Button to save account ".iaf" file.

When Windows 10 upgrade finished, reinstall Outlook Express and replace the files from backup to same locations. Also you can import previously exported ".iaf" account settings file.

For any other question please contact us at runasxp@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2015, 06:13 PM
RE: Outlook Express & Windows 10 Update
Actually as I posted before you won't lose everything, only the address book, account settings and message rules.
The emails are still in the Identity folder and easily could be retrieved.
But it sucks anyway...
A kind request to OE developers: please bring back the Send-to function in Windows 10.
Also the drag&drop of a file to be attached in a new message window doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 (maybe it's related to that Send-to function).
08-02-2015, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2015 02:46 PM by Rafail.)
We had made some tests and decided that it is better users to full bacup all data. Thank you geodrag for your observation. As for send-to menu, we will try to bring it back very soon. We are waiting windows 10 first updates so we can work with a more stabe win 10 version.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
08-14-2015, 03:44 AM
(07-31-2015 06:13 PM)geodrag Wrote:  Actually as I posted before you won't lose everything, only the address book, account settings and message rules.
The emails are still in the Identity folder and easily could be retrieved.
But it sucks anyway...
A kind request to OE developers: please bring back the Send-to function in Windows 10.
Also the drag&drop of a file to be attached in a new message window doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 (maybe it's related to that Send-to function).

I did the update to 10 before I found out about this - How do I find and recover the information that is still there please?
08-14-2015, 04:45 AM
(08-14-2015 03:44 AM)tonyevans Wrote:  I did the update to 10 before I found out about this - How do I find and recover the information that is still there please?

You mean how to recover email files? Just reinstall Outlook Express, normally dbx files are there and will get emails again after reinstallation

Rafail B.
Administrator
08-15-2015, 04:33 AM
(08-14-2015 04:45 AM)Rafail Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 03:44 AM)tonyevans Wrote:  I did the update to 10 before I found out about this - How do I find and recover the information that is still there please?

You mean how to recover email files? Just reinstall Outlook Express, normally dbx files are there and will get emails again after reinstallation

I have reinstalled OE but still only get the clean install with none of my old stuff.

Tony
08-15-2015, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 07:19 PM by Rafail.)
to find your old mails follow these steps:

1. Open your identities folder, identities folders are forders named somethidg like {067F4077-CDFB-71B0-454C-5F2444DD4544}
The path of these folders is "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Identities\"
.First of all make a backup of all folders in case you make a mistake so you wont loose your emails.
2. If you see there more than one folders (identities folder) then normally the older one has your old emails. Right click to see which is older one and replace the contents of older identity folder to newer one. If there are more than two then check the size of folder, the folder with bigger size has more mails so could be the one you need.
3. Run outlook express to check if mails are there.

Rafail B.
Administrator
11-16-2015, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2015 01:48 AM by Clams.)
People - Please note that the coming update for Windows 10 users (1511) is also likely to uninstall Outlook Express.
Consider this fair warning to back up your stuff (now) as per the first post tin this thread.
You don't know when 1511 will come to you via the MS auto-upraper - but it will come.
I found this out the hard way today. (and found my files in the Windows.old folder)
-W
12-14-2015, 12:30 AM
Regarding backing up mail files - I found the best is to actually relocate them from under %appdata% to something like %userprofile%\mail or to a folder under "my documents". It makes it easier to include it in any backup, file and settings transfer and such. Then, once OE is reinstalled, open Options/Maintenance and specify existing folder with the mail as Store Folder. make sure to answer "Yes" to the prompt, so it does not delete old files.

What's important is to export account settings from tools/accounts.
06-20-2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks you so much, this very help me. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user