Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Outlook Express Address Book
12-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Outlook Express Address Book
I recently made a donation and downloaded Outlook Express version 2.1. I have a client with an old Windows XP laptop and they have used Outlook Express 6 as their email client for many years. They have purchased a new Windows 10 laptop and were very happy when I informed them that I had found a solution to losing OE. I have successfully installed your OE v2.1, have setup the two email accounts, and have copied the *.dbx folders from the old pc to the new one. So far so good. OE opens as always with all the folders and emails intact. It connects to both accounts and downloads the mail fine also.

One thing I did was to create a new "Mail Folder" in the C: users\client as the "Store Email" location instead of the "Identies" folder. I changed the OE store folder location to this the newly created folder and it seems fine.

My only issue is with the OE Address Book. So far I have not been able to import the address book.cvs file I exported from the old pc. I am not able to create an Address Book shortcut from the wab.exe file either because that opens Window contacts instead of OE contacts. I could use some direction at this point to compete this job.

I did not see the added icon in the taskbar area which is supposed to be created when installing OE. I am quite familiar with OE settings so this is not a big deal to me. Love having OE back and available again. You rock!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2015, 01:07 PM
RE: Outlook Express Address Book
Hello,
That happens because you had not checked the Addres Book check boxon installation, See image:

That checkbox must be checked.

Also i suggest you trying new version 2.1 instead of 2.0:
http://runasxp.com/ddownload.php?filed=oe6_v2.1.exe

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
12-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Thank you for your quick response Rafail. I did install version 2.1 of OE but I don't recall unchecking anything in that window. I do remember entering the key during the installation but I do not remember seeing the boxes. I am sure they must have been there and I just glanced at them. Are they all checked by default? I know I did not uncheck anything.

If I try to reinstall OE, will I then have to go through all the steps again of moving folders and re-entering all the account information? Lastly, you did not answer my question about creating an Address Book shortcut. Did it not work because that box was not checked during the initial install? I know normally the shortcut is created from the wab.exe file.
12-09-2015, 10:44 PM
No you will not loose anything and you have not to add accounts and mails again, also uninstall is not neded, just install version 2.1 directly. The reason that address book did not worked for you is that the checkbox (it is chechked by default) may have uncheck accidentally by you or there may be a problem during installation.
Tat is the reason that i am suggesting you to install version 2.1
it has solved many installation problems.

Rafail B.
Administrator
12-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Okay...thank you. As you can see in my previous posts, I did download and install version 2.1 initially. I will then just try running the install again. Do I have to uninstall before reinstalling, or can I just run oe6_v2.1.exe again? What about creating the shortcut for the Address Book? Thanks for working with me on this. By the way, I am curious as to where you are located.
12-09-2015, 11:23 PM
No it's not needed to uninstall first.
You can create an addressbook shortcut (wab.exe). but normally you will have it already on start menu.
After installing, you can run address book directly from shortcut.

Rafail B.
Administrator
12-12-2015, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 05:22 AM by geo791.)
I have run the install program (oe6_v2.1.exe) again making sure that the box was checked but again...when I click on, or create a shortcut to wab.exe it does not open the OE address book, but the Windows Contacts. Please advise?
12-12-2015, 05:20 AM
Okay...some additional information to the previous post. Finally after trying everything I could think of, I uninstalled OE and then reinstalled (oe6_v2.1.exe). I made certain that all the boxes were checked during the install. After rebooting the machine and checking OE again, OE opened correctly and the address book inside of OE showed the correct information. Then I used Windows explorer and found the wab.exe file but when I clicked on it a window opened to C:\users\client\contacts. So I am right back where I began. I finally gave working on OE Address Book and completed some other items. Then I wondered if the send to "mail recipient" would work. I opened the pictures folder in Windows explorer and right clicked on a picture. Sure enough, the send to "mail recipient" was on the menu. The only problem was it didn't work correctly all the time. I tried selecting one picture and clicked the send to "mail recipient" and then the small box opened requesting to make the file smaller for email, which is what we want. It worked on the first picture but then on subsequent pictures OE would not open to send the attachment. Maybe it just Windows 10, but the OE program seems to have some problems working consistently. The client can accept that the Address Book will not run separately from OE but they are not happy with the problem of sending pictures and having OE resize them, not working most of the time. Hope you have some good solutions to these issues.
12-12-2015, 05:50 AM
It looks like there is a problem in your installation.
Since you tried 2 times the only thing i can think is that you may have corrupt installer.

So please follow these steps:
Delete all your previous oe downloads.
Do Not uninstall OE since it's not needed.
Download agian the installer: http://runasxp.com/ddownload.php?filed=oe6_v2.1.exe
Install it and reboot your pc.

i'm sure that if you follow all steps everyting should be fine and address book plus send to will work.

Rafail B.
Administrator
12-13-2015, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2015 02:31 AM by geo791.)
First of all, I want to thank you for working through these issues with me. I followed your instructions and downloaded a fresh copy of oe_6v2.1.exe. I did notice a difference in the file size between the one I had downloaded earlier. I ran the new install program and now the address book is working as a stand-alone program like it used to. I installed the English spell check program and that is working fine also. My client is now very satisfied so I am very happy too. One small issue still remains though. I opened the pictures folder and tried to use the right mouse click to Send To "Mail Recipient" and resize the attachment. When I do this, a small window opens indicating the resolution and offers different resolution options like 800x600. Then when I click on attach nothing happens and OE does not open to send the attachment. The small window is different than the normal window which is seen. I should have taken a screen shot of it but I was using TeamViewer today to access their system. Yesterday I was able to get it to work once in a while correctly. I was hoping this reinstall of OE would fix this issue also. They travel and take lots of pictures and send them through email. It is necessary to resize them before they can send them and OE has always provided a simple solution. One thing I may have forgoten to do, after I reinstalled OE the system was not rebooted because I was using TeamViewer. It is possible this feature will work correctly after the machine is rebooted. I won't know the answer because they are leaving tomorrow for the winter. I am sending a screenshot of the small window which normally comes up when the Send To mail recipient is used. I am not seeing the top portion of this small window.

.jpg  Send Pictures via E-Mail.jpg (Size: 76.77 KB / Downloads: 36)