Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OE6 for WIN7 - a problem with "sendto" and/or passwords
01-12-2015, 11:58 PM
RE: OE6 for WIN7 - a problem with "sendto" and/or passwords
Hello!
In first, thank you for a Outlook Express for Windows 7!

But it have some problems:
1) Immediate window after the command "Send -> Outlook express mail" from context menu is not correct displays Cyrillic at attach file name
I think it's a bug sendto.exe

2) Import messages is not work (import window is open but button "Next" is not press).

3) Module SendTo is not open on click "Send to as attach..." from Microsoft Office 2003 (2007).

Version OE 1.6.7, Windows 7 x64.

Please help and sorry for my English. Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2015, 03:01 AM
(01-12-2015 11:58 PM)User777 Wrote:  Hello!
In first, thank you for a Outlook Express for Windows 7!

But it have some problems:
1) Immediate window after the command "Send -> Outlook express mail" from context menu is not correct displays Cyrillic at attach file name
I think it's a bug sendto.exe

2) Import messages is not work (import window is open but button "Next" is not press).

3) Module SendTo is not open on click "Send to as attach..." from Microsoft Office 2003 (2007).

Version OE 1.6.7, Windows 7 x64.

Please help and sorry for my English. Thanks in advance!

1. Send to only supports English file names for the moment, (and some other latin based languages) thats why you get there characters, propably you use other lang. file names.

2.Import does not work, thats why i suggest KLS mail Backup to move emails from one pc to another or making backups.

3.Send to only works on right click windows context, not from other programs like excel, acrobat or anything else.

Aservice called MAPI mail, is the service which sends emails through context menus to default email client (like outlook express).
Send to tool (and internet explorer 8 context link send menu) was created because default windows 7 and newer os MAPI Service is updated (different from xp) and is incompatible with Outlook Express.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
May be I can add an add. information, in general for "other languages"?

To use correct glyphs = the characters of a an "other language", look like for example Cyrillic, you need at 1st a compiler / linker for generating software, which support UTF-x, also known as "Unicode" (MS software mostly use UTF-8). And often it's a question of the "software-language" (VB, C++, Cobol and so on), you must declare, which kind of UTF-x should be supported. And even if exist UTF-x already many years, it exists today further a lot of compilers / linkers without support for it.

Last but not least, it exists further the old Codepages of Windows to support also non-UTF-software (non-UTF-Software use codepage-letters instead UTF-x), but this don't work every time so as expected with every software, and is everytime valid for all non-UTF-software of a machine.

This is a short summary of my earlier problems to create commercial software, which should be able to work with "other languages" (in middle Europe exists a lot of this languages concurrently). If the software isn't made for/with UTF-x, the best solution for everyone is to use only latin letters, the native language of MS.Tongue

PS: Furthermore, the handling of filenames writen in other languages is more complicated (why know only MS), as normal written text in a field of the software. Therefore everyone would be well advised, to use in "multi-language" systems only filenames with latin letters and digits for his own filenames. It's not a requirement, but make the MS-world easier.

Walter
01-13-2015, 07:31 PM
(01-13-2015 03:26 PM)walter Wrote:  May be I can add an add. information, in general for "other languages"?

To use correct glyphs = the characters of a an "other language", look like for example Cyrillic, you need at 1st a compiler / linker for generating software, which support UTF-x, also known as "Unicode" (MS software mostly use UTF-8). And often it's a question of the "software-language" (VB, C++, Cobol and so on), you must declare, which kind of UTF-x should be supported. And even if exist UTF-x already many years, it exists today further a lot of compilers / linkers without support for it.

Last but not least, it exists further the old Codepages of Windows to support also non-UTF-software (non-UTF-Software use codepage-letters instead UTF-x), but this don't work every time so as expected with every software, and is everytime valid for all non-UTF-software of a machine.

This is a short summary of my earlier problems to create commercial software, which should be able to work with "other languages" (in middle Europe exists a lot of this languages concurrently). If the software isn't made for/with UTF-x, the best solution for everyone is to use only latin letters, the native language of MS.Tongue

PS: Furthermore, the handling of filenames writen in other languages is more complicated (why know only MS), as normal written text in a field of the software. Therefore everyone would be well advised, to use in "multi-language" systems only filenames with latin letters and digits for his own filenames. It's not a requirement, but make the MS-world easier.

Walter

Actually walter the problem is not to set the Utf-x or anything like that. The prbolem is that vb6 (which is used for programming sendto) does not support unicode strings (like many programming languages). So the problem is that since it captures file names (external strings) it is not possible to parse that non unicode characters (internally). the only solution is SendTo to be written from scratch to Vb.Net, which supports unicode srtrings, and that will be done if no other solution found.

Rafail B.
Administrator
01-13-2015, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 09:22 PM by walter.)
(01-13-2015 07:31 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Actually walter the problem is not to set the Utf-x or anything like that. The problem is that vb6 (which is used for programming sendto) does not support unicode strings (like many programming languages).

Hello Rafail,
that's exact what I've wrote with "... support UTF-x, also known as "Unicode" ..." and "... it exists today further a lot of compilers / linkers without support for it.".

"Unicode" is only a global titel for this system. And MS uses also other terms for it, for example look for the API's "MultiByteToWideChar" and so on, which can be used to transfer characters between this one from Codepages (single bytes) and "Unicode" (mostly UTF-8).

PS: Sorry for my englisch, maybe this is the reason for some missunderstandings?
PPS: UTF = UCS (UCS = Universal Character Set) Transformation Format, and the mostly used coding standard for "Unicode" is UTF-8.

Walter
01-13-2015, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 09:36 PM by Rafail.)
(01-13-2015 09:11 PM)walter Wrote:  
(01-13-2015 07:31 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Actually walter the problem is not to set the Utf-x or anything like that. The problem is that vb6 (which is used for programming sendto) does not support unicode strings (like many programming languages).

Hello Rafail,
that's exact what I've wrote with "... support UTF-x, also known as "Unicode" ..." and "... it exists today further a lot of compilers / linkers without support for it.".

"Unicode" is only a global titel for this system. And MS uses also other terms for it, for example look for the API's "MultiByteToWideChar" and so on, which can be used to transfer characters between this one from Codepages (single bytes) and "Unicode" (mostly UTF-8).

PS: Sorry for my englisch, maybe this is the reason for some missunderstandings?
PPS: UTF = UCS (UCS = Universal Character Set) Transformation Format, and the mostly used coding standard for "Unicode" is UTF-8.

Walter

Look, as i said, the problem is that vb6 Only supports english characters for strings, there are several solutions, like using external module (if thats what you mean with API) but that will make a light tool like send to very heavy (with depedencies). I made it on vb6 because i dont wated to use .NET (vb6 is tottaly independent).

Making sendto work with all languages is on my priorities, and if i dont find any solution moding MAPI MAIL service itslef, so default windows send to and other mapi functions will work on outlook express, then i will update send to tool to multilang.

Are you a programmer?

Rafail B.
Administrator
01-13-2015, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 11:41 PM by walter.)
(01-13-2015 09:32 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Are you a programmer?
Yes, BUT
a) it's only approx. 30% of my business (but helpfull for understanding many problems) and
b) only for Software for commercial purposes (mainly written with the good, old COBOL. I love it.Heart)

API's (Application interfaces) are interfaces for calls from your software to the OS, which transfers data (between your software and the OS) and tells the OS, what it should make for your program. And of course, you can name it "external module", but API's are in my view simply "special" interfaces to OS functions, which you can use from and for your software. A well overview about this functions (and including the necessary LIB files for linking it with your software) you can get, if you have or will install a properly Windows SDK.

And You are right, the programing world of VB for .NET ist different to VB6. So VB6 source code will not work without a lot of manually work with VB for .NET. And here exist also some other restrictions, for example a .NET-program can call a normal programm (look like a dll), but not vice versa (not official in accordance with MS-Rules), and so on.

Walter
01-14-2015, 04:24 AM
Yes Walter, true story!.
It looks like you are an Insider on programming!
I also love programming as hobby, but my main job is Web development and IT Support.
Thanks!

Rafail B.
Administrator
01-15-2016, 11:44 PM
(01-13-2015 09:32 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Making sendto work with all languages is on my priorities.

One year latter, Windows 10, Office 2016, OEv.2.1

Still exist problem with cyrylic in filename and subject of mail on sending file from MS Word.