Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OE6 Not Responding
01-09-2015, 03:14 AM
OE6 Not Responding
I'm new to using OE6 and currently running version 1.6.7 on Win7-32 installation (with all the latest updates). I run OE6 in XP Compatibility mode SP3 and as an administrator. At least 50% of the time, when I start OE6 the window is drawn with the folder list on the left but the welcome pane on the right is blank. When this occurs task manager shows the task as “not responding". Ending the process and restarting OE6 will start correctly. Although sometimes I need to end/restart a few times before OE6 will finally start. Once started correctly it may start correctly for several times in a row, but eventually I get the partially blank startup pane and the "not responding" status in task manager.

Below are two screen images of what the window looks like under these two conditions.

Dennis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2015, 05:29 AM
RE: OE6 Not Responding
do you have ESET antivirus? or any antivirus that has email intergreation? if yes g to your antivirus settings and disable email add-on, email intergration, or antispam.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
01-09-2015, 06:50 AM
(01-09-2015 05:29 AM)Rafail Wrote:  do you have ESET antivirus? or any antivirus that has email intergreation? if yes g to your antivirus settings and disable email add-on, email intergration, or antispam.

I run Avast as my anti-virus. I turned off the mail client monitoring and rebooted. The problem still persists. It still takes 1-2 end-process/restarts to get the window to display correctly. Maybe 1 out 5 tries, OE6 will display correctly on the first try.

I should add the I don't use OE6 as my mail client, but rather I installed it for its newsreader capabilities. I use MS Office Outlook 2003 as my regular mail client.

Dennis
01-13-2015, 02:05 PM
What news server do you use?

Rafail B.
Administrator
01-13-2015, 11:18 PM
(01-13-2015 02:05 PM)Rafail Wrote:  What news server do you use?

I subscribe to 2 news servers: news.aioe.org and news.mozilla.org. But I'm not sure this should matter as the newsgroups are not automatically accessed at start-up.

However I think I've solved my problem. When I first installed OE6 I could not get OE6 to work at all until I set compatibility mode to WinXp SP3. I would get the symptoms described earlier, but at least it would work occasionally.

I played with selecting other compatibility modes and now have OE6 working consistently (without the issues described earlier), but to get this to work I had to downgrade compatibility mode all the way to "Windows 98 / Windows ME".

Why this works I'm not sure as WinXP SP3 was the last OS that MS OE6 was supported. Any thoughts?

Dennis
01-14-2015, 04:15 AM
I tasted these newsservers (subsribed to all categories) and tasted with and withour compatibility, seems to work ok. Currently i am using windows 10 technical preview.

I will test it on windows 7 one of these days.

Rafail B.
Administrator
01-14-2015, 04:23 AM
This installation with the problem is a Win7-32 Home Premium. I have another system running Win8-64 Pro. In that system OE6 runs fine without having to set any compatability mode.

Dennis
01-14-2015, 01:22 PM
I was having the same problem as the OP. Going into OE6's options and unchecking "send and receive messages at startup" fixed the problem for me.
01-14-2015, 11:01 PM
For me this was one of the first options I had unchecked, and I still had the reported issue.
01-20-2015, 09:35 AM
I am also having this problem. OE6 freezes on startup in Windows 7 Professional. I have to uninstall OE6 and clean registry and then reinstall to get it to work. But it only works on the first try. The second or third time I try to open OE6 it freezes. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.