Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OE folder size limits
05-16-2016, 08:42 PM
OE folder size limits
Are there any restrictions on individual mail folder size in OE? I've noticed that OE is taking more and more time to open its folders. Is there any chance that my OE mail folders will soon get corrupted?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2016, 04:42 AM
RE: OE folder size limits
Hello, you can check your mail folders from "File>Folders>Compact all folders"
If compact finishes normally then there is no corruption.

You can create more folders to have smaller mail folder size.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
05-17-2016, 07:45 PM
(05-17-2016 04:42 AM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello, you can check your mail folders from "File>Folders>Compact all folders"
If compact finishes normally then there is no corruption.

You can create more folders to have smaller mail folder size.

Hello, thanks for your reply.
1) I've been using OE since Win95 first appeared in the market (or I might be wrong - do not remember in which OS the OE was first integrated). My current mail base contains 95 folders and some of them are big enough.
2) I do not like any of my digital stuff to be compacted. IMHO, your suggestion implies that the corruption of large mail folders is quite possible.
3) Do you mean to say that if the compact fails to finish normally, my mail folders will become corrupt? Well, it does not sound very promising. None at all.
It looks like it's time for me to turn to an alternative OE solution. They promise that there is no limitation on mail folder size.
Still I respect your efforts to keep the OE live and running. Thank you!
05-17-2016, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2016 09:08 PM by Rafail.)
There is NO limit on oe folder size, none at all. There was a 2gb limit on win95-98 because that time file system on hard drives was FAT32 and FAT32 has 2gb limit on all files for all programs.
The compacting is actually checking, when you compact folders it actually check mail folders for corruption, also it reduces the size because it removed deleted emails. When you delete an email (even from "deleted items" folder), it actually marks it as deleted and you dont see it anymore, not removing it permanently from mail folder. Only when you compact folders deleted emails are being removed permanently. This is also used on computer file systems, when you delete a file (even from recucler), windows actually mark it as deleted, only when you full format hard drive files are permanently deleted..
That's why compacting must be done frequently. If compacting fails, it means that there was a corruption that cannot be fixed. But compacting itself will NEVER create corruption itself, it may just not be able to fix a curruption, not create it.
You can backup your email folders (DBX files) before compacting to be sure that you will not loose anything. In my knowledge, compacting never created any problem...
Also compacting does not compact mails in way you think, it does not compress or anything like that. It only removes permanently deleted emails (emails that are deleted, not the one that are stll on "deleted items") and trys to recover any corruption.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
05-18-2016, 03:58 AM
Thank you, Rafail, for your detailed explanation of the mechanism of compacting. Still, now I know that I have to be on the look-out - always...