Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Installed Spell Checker in OE--Still doesn't work
05-15-2016, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2016 07:51 AM by ssanda.)
Installed Spell Checker in OE--Still doesn't work
I downloaded and installed the software for the OE6 Spell Checker as an Administrator and it installed properly and into the correct folders.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. When I create a new email, the F7 key and spell checking links are greyed-out and do not function.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2016, 04:04 PM
RE: Installed Spell Checker in OE--Still doesn't work
Hello,
Are you sure that you have not changed the default installation path? Also check on Outlook express options on "Spelling" tab if English is selected.
I have updated the spell check download page and added step-by-step installation guide with screenshots:
http://runasxp.com/Thread-English-Spell-...pid=2#pid2

Check that if you have installed it correctly.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
05-15-2016, 09:04 PM
(05-15-2016 04:04 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello,
Are you sure that you have not changed the default installation path? Also check on Outlook express options on "Spelling" tab if English is selected.
I have updated the spell check download page and added step-by-step installation guide with screenshots:
http://runasxp.com/Thread-English-Spell-...pid=2#pid2

Check that if you have installed it correctly.

Hi Rafail,

Thanks for your quick follow up!

I have followed your instructions exactly and still cannot get the Spell Checker to load with OE6. I've attached a screenshot of "Tools/Options", you'll note that the Spelling option is not present.

I have even tried uninstalling it (including removing all registry traces with UninstallerPro) and then renstalling it. Still doesn't work.

Would you suggest that I uninstall OE6 and start over with a fresh installation? It means a bit more work for me as I have to rebuild my address books, but I'll do it if you think it will work.

Please let me know.

Gary S.

Attached File(s)
.docx  view of options.docx (Size: 38.99 KB / Downloads: 3)
05-16-2016, 03:44 AM
reinstalling oe most likely will not make a difference.
unfortunately the spell check is ceated by third party (not form us) and there are not many things i can suggest.
But it worked for all users i know. You can try importing spell reg files manually to see if it works. I am attaching 2 reg files below, 1 for 64bit windows and one for 32bit, use the one according to your os bit.

.reg  spell-32bit.reg (Size: 2.36 KB / Downloads: 3)

.reg  spell-64bit.reg (Size: 2.52 KB / Downloads: 4)

Rafail B.
Administrator
05-16-2016, 09:46 AM
It's a strange one, because now, sometimes it works and other times not.

I used this same add-on with OE6 when I was on XP and it worked perfectly. Not sure what the issue is here, but in any case, thank you very much for your help!

Gary S.
05-16-2016, 07:10 PM
you can also try reinstalling oe (dont uninstall first, just over install so your emails and addresses wont be lost)

Rafail B.
Administrator
05-16-2016, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2016 09:50 PM by Rafail.)
Rafail,

I tried reloading the program, but the spell checker still doesn't work.

If we can give this one last try--I've attached a Word doc with the folders containing the files related to OE6. Would you mind taking a quick look and determining if everything is where it should be?

If you can't find anything, then I'll consider this a closed case and thank you again for your help!

Gary S.
05-16-2016, 09:52 PM
everything looks fine..
i believe that it may have to do with the registry, but not 100% sure because as i wrote above, speller is not created by us.. try installing spell checker in "safe mode with networking" to see if there is any difference.

Rafail B.
Administrator
05-16-2016, 10:05 PM
(05-16-2016 09:52 PM)Rafail Wrote:  everything looks fine..
i believe that it may have to do with the registry, but not 100% sure because as i wrote above, speller is not created by us.. try installing spell checker in "safe mode with networking" to see if there is any difference.

I'll try it. If it works, I'll be sure to get back to you. If not, I won't take any more of your time. Either way, thanks!
05-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Hi Rafail,

Here's something interesting about the issue I was having regarding getting the Spell Checker to load in OE6.

I find that when I "double-load" OE6 that the Spell Checker also loads and works perfectly. This means that I load OE6 and then click it again to load it twice. Weird, but it works! Smile

Thanks for all your help!

Gary S.