Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
French spelling Checker
05-18-2015, 03:06 AM
French spelling Checker
I just installed OE6 for Windows 7 under W7x32 Pro. Everything went well - even better than I expected. But...
The spelling checker seems to think that I should be using French. There's a 'fix' for that in these forums, but it appears to be for W7x64, and suggests that spell check works correctly under W7x32. I tried using the Settings option to specifically set the language to English, but it didn't help.

One more minor problem found is that Work Offline does not appear to go offline - either by using the tool bar button, or the File > Work Offline option. Luckily, I very seldom need to use that option.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2015, 12:30 AM
RE: French spelling Checker
(05-18-2015 03:06 AM)RunAmok Wrote:  The spelling checker seems to think that I should be using French. There's a 'fix' for that in these forums, but it appears to be for W7x64, and suggests that spell check works correctly under W7x32. I tried using the Settings option to specifically set the language to English, but it didn't help.

I'd hoped to see a response by now. While a French only dictionary is not a 'show stopper', it certainly is an annoyance for someone who'a spelling-impaired like me. Does the 'fix' for 64bit work for 32bit? There seems to be a folder of 'languages' in the install directory. Can we unpack or change the default language to one of those?
06-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Hello,
Currently the spell check available is only English (look Here: http://runasxp.com/Thread-English-Spell-...it-Windows )
The fix you are looking is for Unicode characters (to fix problem when the outlook express menus are not being displayed correctly)
We are trying to finish the multi language spell check that has also the French laguage but i cannot say when will be ready.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
06-08-2015, 11:03 PM
(06-06-2015 04:22 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello,
Currently the spell check available is only English (look Here: http://runasxp.com/Thread-English-Spell-...it-Windows )
The fix you are looking is for Unicode characters (to fix problem when the outlook express menus are not being displayed correctly)
We are trying to finish the multi language spell check that has also the French laguage but i cannot say when will be ready.

I don't think I made myself clear. The link you displayed claims that W732bit uses an English dictionary by default. As installed, with no changes, the spell checker is using a French dictionary - on a W7x32 system that's totally English. That, of course, tags 95% of the words in an English email. And even using "Settings" to select English does not change the spelling checker. Everything else, menus, etc, displays in English, but that spellling checker insists on using a French dictionary.

With some time, and spell checking many older emails - adding each word that fails the spell check - I've built a custom dictionary which now works fairly well - except for a continuing need to add words with 's, capital letters, etc. But a full English dictionary for spell checking would be appreciated.
06-21-2015, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 10:23 AM by RunAmok.)
(06-08-2015 11:03 PM)RunAmok Wrote:  
(06-06-2015 04:22 PM)Rafail Wrote:  Hello,

I don't think I made myself clear. The link you displayed claims that W732bit uses an English dictionary by default. As installed, with no changes, the spell checker is using a French dictionary - on a W7x32 system that's totally English. That, of course, tags 95% of the words in an English email. And even using "Settings" to select English does not change the spelling checker. Everything else, menus, etc, displays in English, but that spellling checker insists on using a French dictionary.

With some time, and spell checking many older emails - adding each word that fails the spell check - I've built a custom dictionary which now works fairly well - except for a continuing need to add words with 's, capital letters, etc. But a full English dictionary for spell checking would be appreciated.

Where is the primary dictionary that OE uses located? Can you give me access to an English dictionary so I can replace the one it's using?
06-23-2015, 06:08 PM
hello,
the dictinary directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\PROOF'
but there are aso registry keys used for spelling files.
The .lex files are the spell 'databases'.

Rafail B.
Administrator
06-30-2015, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2015 04:39 AM by RunAmok.)
(06-23-2015 06:08 PM)Rafail Wrote:  hello,
the dictinary directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\PROOF'

Since OE installed in Program Files, there isn't a PROOF directory in Program Files (86). But in the Program Files PROOF directory, it's interesting to find and English MSGR3EN.lex, a French MSGR3FR.lex (only containing one line of text), and what appears to be a Spanish MSGR3ES.lex. Two of the three are reasonably large, and appear to hold words in the language they claim to be. But for each of those - except English - there's a matching MSSP3xx.DLL.
The only new things in that directory are 3 sub directories for 1033, 1036, 3082, dated when I installed OE6. They each contain a DLL file which is also labeled as EN, FR, and ES, and appear to contain words in the language they say they do. In short, everthing appears to be what it should be - give or take the FR lex file with only contain one line of text saying it's a "placeholder" and the 'missing' MSSP3EN.DLL.

So, I'm not sure what I should have seen, and still don't know why my installed OE6 is spell checking with a French Dictionary.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-30-2015, 04:50 PM
(06-30-2015 04:36 AM)RunAmok Wrote:  

Since OE installed in Program Files, there isn't a PROOF directory in Program Files (86). But in the Program Files PROOF directory, it's interesting to find and English MSGR3EN.lex, a French MSGR3FR.lex (only containing one line of text), and what appears to be a Spanish MSGR3ES.lex. Two of the three are reasonably large, and appear to hold words in the language they claim to be. But for each of those - except English - there's a matching MSSP3xx.DLL.
The only new things in that directory are 3 sub directories for 1033, 1036, 3082, dated when I installed OE6. They each contain a DLL file which is also labeled as EN, FR, and ES, and appear to contain words in the language they say they do. In short, everthing appears to be what it should be - give or take the FR lex file with only contain one line of text saying it's a "placeholder" and the 'missing' MSSP3EN.DLL.

So, I'm not sure what I should have seen, and still don't know why my installed OE6 is spell checking with a French Dictionary.

what .lex files you have is depending of what proofing tools you have on your pc. If for example, you have installed ms office that may have spell check for word, you will have different lex languages. That folder path is correct (folder i write above) and it its there (on microsoft shares directory) because it is being used by other progras also.

Replacing files is not suggested because each file is associated with some registry keys and the procedure for installing spell check requires that keys.

Rafail B.
Administrator
07-02-2015, 04:30 AM
(06-30-2015 04:50 PM)Rafail Wrote:  
(06-30-2015 04:36 AM)RunAmok Wrote:  

what .lex files you have is depending of what proofing tools you have on your pc. If for example, you have installed ms office that may have spell check for word, you will have different lex languages. That folder path is correct (folder i write above) and it its there (on microsoft shares directory) because it is being used by other progras also.

Replacing files is not suggested because each file is associated with some registry keys and the procedure for installing spell check requires that keys.

According to Microsoft Technet and other MS web pages, once you install any Office version beyond 2003, spell check in Outlook Express will no longer work. The only spelling option it will offer is French - and that's exactly what I see here since I'm using Office 2007. (see attached).

Some of the MS articles offer several suggestions and fixes for Office itself (which originally had it's own problems), and a registry fix for Windows Mail, but I'm not comfortable installing one of the add-on spell checkers in a version of OE that's been modified to run under W7. You can find some of the suggestions here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...d2d?auth=1

Dissapointing, but it appears that the only guaranteed option at this point for those of us runing a newer copy of Office is to continue to build a custom dictionary with a combination of downloaded word lists and spell checking old and new emails to add any words not already there.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)