Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drag-n-drop a file does not create attachment
11-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Drag-n-drop a file does not create attachment
If I'm not mistaken, in the past it was possible to drag-and-drop a file onto the body of the email message being composed, and it created an attachment. I just tried it, and it did not allow to drop (under Windows 10).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2015, 07:02 AM
RE: Drag-n-drop a file does not create attachment
Windows 10 Security will not allow to drop files directly to OE, it is only supported on windows 7 right now.
You can of course use "add attachment" menu for that.

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
03-03-2016, 10:00 AM
But drag-and-drop does work as always for Outlook 2003, as I can see. Why doesn't windows 10 security prevent that?
03-04-2016, 12:59 AM
You can disable UAC on windows 10:
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-...indows-10/

and use outlook express without administrative rights using special shortcut from Tray icon menu:
http://runasxp.com/Thread-Accessing-new-...-Tray-icon
Use that shortcut for sending and receiving emails because some settings may not be changed without administrative privileges.

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Yes, I have disabled UAC, and there's no problem to run OE not as administrator. But I'm talking about drag-and-drop of the files into the new email message. When I do it in Outlook, the dropped files become attachments in the email. In OE it's impossible to drop them. You said it's because Windows 10 security does not allow it, but then why it allows it in Outlook?
03-04-2016, 12:34 PM
I said that Windows 10 security is blocking drag n drop when running as administrator. Following the steps above you will notice that you will be able to enable drag-drop on oe.
Outlook and outlook express are 2 different programs and using different libraries.

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-13-2016, 04:58 AM
I tried it now, but could not get it to work. If I understand correctly, in order to have tray icon, I have to run application tray.exe, right? I was able to run it as administrator (it showed an error otherwise). But when I opened OE using tray icon, and then started new email, I still could not drag-and-drop a file into it.

By the way, tray icon is an option of Fidolook, "Various Tools and add-ins" -> "Other". That opens yet another tray icon.

I still can't understand why standard drag-and-drop feature of Windows is allowed for all applications, without any administrator mode (here's a sample: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library...s.90).aspx , I just tried it and it worked), but not in OE.
03-13-2016, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 05:36 PM by Rafail.)
Different programs, use different libraries.
You must run outlook express.exe not tray.exe. default shortcut points to outlook express.exe.
But, if you want to be able to use drag-n-drop (only for windows 10, because on windows 7 drop works fine without need of creating shortcut), you must create a shortcut to msimn.exe.
please try creating a shortcut to msimn.exe and let me know about results.

Rafail B.
Administrator
03-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Yes, msimn.exe works, I'm able to drag-and drop into new message. So, is it possible to run msimn and have fidolook?
03-14-2016, 02:33 PM
yes it is,
you can create a shortcut pointing to "FidolookSL.exe",
and of course you can have both shortcuts.

Rafail B.
Administrator