Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A fix for Internet Explorer "Read Mail" icon not working
07-03-2015, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 11:07 AM by BobH.)
A fix for Internet Explorer "Read Mail" icon not working
    I click the IE command bar "Read Mail" icon many times daily. If you have the icon showing, but it's not working, read on.

>>>>> Warning: Importing or merging a .reg file backup will only restore the keys and values that were included in the exported backup. If you have added new keys and values since the .reg file backup was created, then these items will not be affected or restored when you import or merge the older exported .reg file backup to the registry. If you are leery of registry changes then create a restore point with System Restore before you make any registry changes. However, manually deleting the "shell" key or running "out.reg" will undo the changes we make.

I have OE6 v2 on two Win 7-64 machines (IE9 and IE11 browsers). OE6 installed and worked great except for the IE "Read Mail" icon. Clicking it produced an error: "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed". Before I knew that OE could run on Win 7 computers I tried Live Mail and later enabled Winmail. I believe the leftover registry entries from those programs (some can't be deleted) were interfering with IE's "Read Mail". After many failed attempts, I found a registry fix that works for me.
I created 3 subkeys and one value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express. If you need this fix and are familiar with the registry, here's how to do it manually: >>>>> Note: Open the attached screen shot - it may be all you need.

1) Run (open) regedit. 2) Open each key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail ("Outlook Express" should now be visible). 3) Right click "Outlook Express" > New and click "Key". 4) Name the key "shell" (NO QUOTES). 5) Right click the new "shell" key and create a new key with the name "open" (NO QUOTES). 6) Right click the new "open" key and create a new key with the name "command" (NO QUOTES). 7) Click on the new "command" key to highlight it and right click "Default" (right pane). 8) Click "modify" and in the "Value data:" box copy/paste (or type) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" (INCLUDE QUOTES) - Click "OK" and you're finished. Open IE, click the "Read Mail" icon to see if it works, if not do the following: Manually delete the "shell" subkey.

EASIER WAY with 2 ".reg" files:

>>>>>Note: The .reg files must look exactly as shown --- remove the forum added link after pasting. <<<<<

1) Copy/paste the following 5 lines into your text editor. 1b) Save as "in.reg" (or any name with the ".reg" extension).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Outlook Express\\msimn.exe\""

2) Copy/paste the following 2 lines into your text editor. 2b) Save as "out.reg" (or any name with the ".reg" extension).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell]

>>>>>Note: The .reg files must look exactly as shown --- remove the forum added link after pasting. <<<<<

Put these 2 .reg files where you can easily get to them (I put them on my desktop). Double-clicking "in.reg" will add the fix and double-clicking "out.reg" will subtract it without the need to run (open) regedit. Normally, .reg files are associated with the Registry Editor, regedit. If the .reg file type is associated with notepad or ? then you will have to change the association (temporarily?) or run (open) regedit. If you need to run (open) regedit then do so and click "file", click "import", browse to "in.reg", click it to add it to the "File name" box and click "open" which should bring up the "sucessful" message. Open IE, click the "Read Mail" icon to see if it works, if not do the following: To undo (remove changes) do the same by importing "out.reg".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 02:39 PM by Rafail.)
RE: A fix for Internet Explorer "Read Mail" icon not working
Thank you Bob for this excellent article.
Glad to have users like you on this forum.
Rafail

Rafail B.
Administrator
-------------------------------------------------
07-09-2015, 04:06 AM
On my W7x32 system where I did not have Outlook or Windows Live Mail installed (Windows Mail was there, but had never been initialized) I found that the "Mailto" function was not there - so I could not reply by clicking on a 'mailto' link in an email or use 'Sendto' in Word or Excel. The Microsoft Technet instructions to use the Control Panel's Default Programs to change the Mailto association didn't work since there was no Mailto defined in HKLM classes.

I had to add a "Mailto" key in HKLM > Classes, and add a Regsiz subkey under that called "URL Protocol". That, and probably the above registry changes, now allows the Mailto function to select and work as expected with OE6.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  mailto.jpg (Size: 14.03 KB / Downloads: 15)
07-09-2015, 10:45 PM
RunAmok,

Very Good! I had the same Mailto problem and same message. I made so many registry changes at once that I don't know what finally fixed it for me. Once it was working I concentrated on the IE read mail problem. I hope your post is seen by those who may need it.

BobH